Homeopathic HCG Diet Drops

Options
2»

Replies

• treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm282334.htm
    Food and Drug Administration and Federal Trade Commission act to remove “homeopathic” HCG weight loss products from the market

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) today issued seven Warning Letters to companies marketing over-the counter (OTC) HCG products that are labeled as “homeopathic” for weight loss.

Human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) is a hormone produced by the human placenta and found in the urine of pregnant women. HCG is FDA-approved as an injectable prescription drug for the treatment of some cases of female infertility and other medical conditions.

The letters warn the companies that they are violating federal law by selling drugs that have not been approved, and by making unsupported claims for the substances. There are no FDA-approved HCG drug products for weight loss.

The joint action is the first step in keeping the unproven and potentially unsafe products from being marketed online and in retail outlets as oral drops, pellets, and sprays.

The labeling for the “homeopathic” HCG products states that each product should be taken in conjunction with a very low calorie diet. There is no substantial evidence HCG increases weight loss beyond that resulting from the recommended caloric restriction. Consumers on a very low calorie diet are at increased risk for side effects including gallstone formation, electrolyte imbalance, and heart arrhythmias.

“These HCG products marketed over-the-counter are unproven to help with weight loss and are potentially dangerous even if taken as directed,” said Ilisa Bernstein, acting director of the Office of Compliance in FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. “And a very low calorie diet should only be used under proper medical supervision.”

“Deceptive advertising about weight loss products is one of the most prevalent types of fraud,” said David Vladeck, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “Any advertiser who makes health claims about a product is required by federal law to back them up with competent and reliable scientific evidence, so consumers have the accurate information they need to make good decisions.”

According to the Warning Letters, the companies have 15 days to notify the FDA of the steps they have taken to correct the violations cited. Failure to do so may result in legal action, including seizure and injunction, or criminal prosecution.
    Consumers and health care professionals are encouraged to report adverse events (side effects) that may be related to the use of these products to MedWatch, the FDA's voluntary reporting program, by calling 800-FDA-1088, or electronically at www.fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm.

Key sentence: “These HCG products marketed over-the-counter are unproven to help with weight loss and are potentially dangerous even if taken as directed."
  • cblackc
    cblackc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have also looked into these drops I have a friend who is also on them. When i looked at HCGdietcanada.com and researched it is not only strict on the foods you eat as well as the products you are using. For example they believe your skin will absorb the grease from your dishes and suggest you wear gloves. There is also a link on that website which is a dr. oz show looking at the pros and cons of this hormone. He looks at the shots prescribed by a doctor as well as the drops with many people on there who have been successful. My friend that is on them has only lost 50lbs since last may... From this website i see that this can be done the healthy way... Not worth the time!!!!

Also the HCG hormone is the hormone that the brain produces for pregnant woman when they are supplying nutrients to the baby... It gives them the feeling that they are not starving because they are sharing their nutrients.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    For a while, the mods were locking all HCG threads. I don't know why that's stopped. It's a very unhealthy way to lose weight.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    It hasn't stopped, they did it just the other day to a post I discussed.

To the people bashing homeopathic remedies... It's unfair to say that they are all fake or placebo effect. Granted, many products that CLAIM to be such are full of bunk...

However, it would seem that you don't know what the actual definition of homeopathic is. Homeopathy is the principle that develops vaccines, as well as the use of naturally occuring venoms and poisons to cure various ailments.

Homeopathy is the concept that a substance at minute dosage can cure or prevent the symptoms of high exposure. It is NOT the same as calling it a "natural" remedy.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    I've always used drops. Just make sure that the active ingredients contain HCG 6x, 12x, 30x and 60x else it is not the real stuff.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    Also, perhaps you guys should read "Dr Simeon's Pounds and Inches" and understood how HCG works before talking crap about it. I can just as easily say that Weight Watchers is not great because it really doesn't teach people how to eat correctly and choose the right food. All they are worried about it not going over their points and so people choose unhealthy food.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Very, very bad. Don't fall for fads. That's all it really is.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Also, perhaps you guys should read "Dr Simeon's Pounds and Inches" and understood how HCG works before talking crap about it. I can just as easily say that Weight Watchers is not great because it really doesn't teach people how to eat correctly and choose the right food. All they are worried about it not going over their points and so people choose unhealthy food.

You don't need the drops if you want to starve yourself. Just eat 1 donut per day, and chase it with a big ol' glass of pure Mexican River water.... and then just sit back and watch the pounds fall off!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

For the time being, HCG discussions remain an option for members in private Groups. Please remember that even in Groups, all site wide rules must be correctly moderated, or the Group runs the risk of deletion. Specifically, endorsement of purchasing prescription supplements or medications without a prescription is in violation of the MyFitnessPal posting guidelines, which can be reviewed here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.
This discussion has been closed.