Please help! I cant figure this out.

Hello all!

Since November 2010, I have lost 28 lbs through diet and exercise, and have done really well. However, the last two months have been EXTREMELY tough. Rather than the usual ~1lb loss a week. I have been lucky if I lose 1 lb in three weeks. About a month ago I tried calorie cycling and it really kick started a few more pounds and I lost 2 lbs in a week. Since then I have been stuck.

This week has been even harder than usual. I have been so busy and havent found time to work out and my self-control has been majorly lacking. Feel free to view my diary....there has only been ONE DAY that I was under my calorie goal. So this morning when I stepped on the scale, I expected at least a 1-2 lb gain. BUT to my surprise, I actually lost two pounds. So....I am extremely confused.

Am I losing muscle mass?? (I usually work out 5-6 days a week but have only worked out once this week). Or was my body not getting enough calories in the first place? Should I raise my calorie goal? I just have so many questions because this one really has me stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Just looking at a quick snapshot of your diary I notice that sodium is consistantly over. I struggled with this for a while. Once I got that under control I noticed an immediate drop. Also, fat intake seems to be going over as well. Sodium will retain a lot of water weight, so it's important to keep that one under the daily goal.

The other thing to realize is that we all plateau from time to time and sometimes our bodies do funny things (like lose 2 pounds when we eat junk and don't exercise). In the long run staying the course works best. Change up your exercise routine. Make sure you get a lot of cardio and strength training and keep eating healthy and it will work out in the end. I am currently in a small plateau myself after losing 55 pounds. It will work itself out by following the basic principle of eating healthy and exercising a lot. Good luck.
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    I'm glad you asked. I'd love to see the answers...
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Bump ....please help!
  • Hsanders3961
    Thanks for the advice Nate. Sodium is a tough one. As I said though, this week has been far worse than usual, and because I have been so busy, I've been eating a lot of quick, easy food....which we all know has that darned sodium in it. Do you think its possible to lose two pounds of muscle mass in just a week??
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    I really don't think it was muscle mass. What can happen, if you have been eating well and exercising and then you have a week where you don't.... you can "shock" your body and "confuse" it. This confusion can cause weight loss. That's why it's good every now and then to zig zag calories or change up your exercise routine. I took a week off recently (about a month ago) and I lost a couple of pounds too. Basically, if our bodies get used to something, it might plateau, causing confusion can always help. But if you stay on the course of too many calories and low exercise, weight loss cannot be maintained.

Weight loss is a very confusing subject sometimes, and everyone has their opinions. That's why I simply eat well and exercise a lot, with periodic rest days and sometimes a rest week. Hope this helps.
  • lovdbeach
    lovdbeach Posts: 1 Member
    What type of exercise do you typically do?

If you are lifting, doing vigorous cardio workouts, your body is most likely retaining water to help muscle recovery. Losing that 2 pounds is probably retained fluid that your body did not need for muscle recovery this week. So, if you would start your previous exercise routine again, you would probably gain a pound or two in the first few days as your body retains the fluid again for muscle recovery.
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    All I can say is that your body needs fuel to burn fat. I don't believe you are losing muscle mass. If you limit your caloric intake too much, body goes into starvation mode. It'll preserve everything you give it. If you eat say 1200 cals/day but burn 300-500 cals/day the net is less than 1000 cals/day. You need to replace those calories. The cycling diet works because you keep your body confused and as long as it knows it is not in starvation, it will continue to burn fat.

I'm not a nutritionist or a fitness/diet expert. Although it is true if you eat less than you burn, you lose weight; however, the more strenuous you exercise, the more caloric intake you need to replenish energy stores and aid in muscle recovery. Michael Phelps needed to consume 3000 cals for breakfast alone when he was training for olympics (12,000 cals/day) - not an ounce of fat on him!

You are doing fine. The closer you get towards your goal, the harder it is to lose. Perhaps you should consult a nutritionist or fitness expert to aid you in your weight loss goals. They could tailor something specific for you.

Good luck!
  • Hsanders3961
    What type of exercise do you typically do?

If you are lifting, doing vigorous cardio workouts, your body is most likely retaining water to help muscle recovery. Losing that 2 pounds is probably retained fluid that your body did not need for muscle recovery this week. So, if you would start your previous exercise routine again, you would probably gain a pound or two in the first few days as your body retains the fluid again for muscle recovery.

This makes so much sense. I bet this has something to do with it! I typically do 30 minutes of circuit training (Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30) then around 15-20 minutes on the elliptical, around 5 days a week. I worked out this morning, and this next week is going to be a week of re-focusing. There is no way I am letting all my hard work go down the drain. And weight loss or no weight loss, I always feel better when I get my workouts in. I was so bummy this week with only getting one workout in. Thanks to all of you for your advice and motivation. It is greatly appreciated!!