Indian takeaway

Options
suzieduh
suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
I know, I know, I shouldn't have one. But, what is the best low-carb option? I have never eaten Indian before and I'm not sure what is the best option. I love spicy foods as well :)

Hope someone can help!!

Susan :blushing:

Replies

• _molo_love_
    _molo_love_ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there... Tandoori item is your best bet, especially Tandoori Chicken. Tandoori chicken is simply marinated with spicies and yogurt and cooked in Tandoor oven without any oil/butter or all that fatty stuff. Most of everything else might seem light but usually has a heavy helping of oils or creams... so stick with tandoor, you can never go wrong with that. Enjoy :)!
  • rosemadderv
    Options
    There are worse things out there for you, so don't feel too bad! If you are going to a proper sit down place, there are generally lots of currys on the menu that are made with stuff potatoes and veggies. Also, if you avoid the cream based stuff (I think that would be 'masala' sauces correct me if I'm wrong) then you could get something that is a chicken curried dish that is fairly healthy. Rice is rice, so either have only a little or skip it all together. A good choice to balance out the spicy stuff is the flat bread you can get with your meal. If you get the whole wheat version (called either chapati or roti) vs naan, it's delicious, and low cal. Ask for 'no ghee' on the bread becasue ghee is clarified butter and just caloires you don't need.

Have a great meal, and don't be afraid to ask your server questions. :)
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I always go for a tandoori mixed grill. As the name suggests it is grilled so not as much fat. Its a meal in itself so you don't need any rice or naan breads or other carbs. Enjoy!!! :smile:
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Most Indian food that's Tandori will be a better option and it's yummy too. Tandori is grilled meat with some veggies. You can avoid the Naan bread too to cut down the carb. Hope that helps :)
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your much needed advice :D Going for tandoori king prawn I think and def skipping the bread and dips :D
  • anberlingasm
    anberlingasm Posts: 177
    Options
    Tandoori is good but so is Bhuna, although the latter is very rice-based; avoid anything creamy like Masala and the less spicy dishes like Korma and Passanda because they tend to be loaded with coconut milk and cream.