pumpkin recipes - clean eating

Options
may_marie
may_marie Posts: 667 Member
hello all,

heres a couple pumpkin recipes i got form my cooking without book, i'd though i'd share
i've bought i pumkin, i will carve it out with my nieces on friday then i'll cook it on saturday .lol
**disclaimer, i have not tryed them out yet, but normaly this cookbook is pretty good**

Fresh tomato, mint and pumpkin soup
serves 4

2 onions
2tsp olive oil
1 1/4 lbs pumpkin flesh
2 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
1 1/4 lbs fresh tomatoes (could use cans)
1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
1 tbsp choppe fresh parsley
salt - pepper to taste

1. finely dice the onions and place in a saucepan with the olive oil.
sweat the onions in the oil until they begin to soften
2. dice the pumpkin flesh and add to the pan, continue to sweat the vegetable until the pumpkin begins to soften. add the stock or water, bring to the boil and simmer until the pumkin is cooked.
3. place the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 sec. to loosen the skins, then peel them. place the pumkin and onion mixture in a food processor with the peeled tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs and process. if you do not have a food processor , mash the cookd pumkin and onion, and finely dice the tomatoes before adding.
4. return the ingrediants to the pan and bring to the boil. remoce from the heat, season to taste and serve

Amount Per Serving
Calories 104.9
Total Fat 2.9 g
Saturated Fat 0.4 g
Sodium 408.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
Sugars 2.4 g
Protein 3.2 g

Winter vegetable and pumpkin curry
serves 4

1 lb pumpkin flesh
2 onion
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp olive oil
2 lbs selection of vegetable e.g. leeks, onions
parsnip, carrots, celeriac, swede, mushrooms, fennel
1tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground fennel
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground ginger (its ok if you dont have all of them)
2 oz creamed coconut
1 1/4 cup vegetable stock
salt peppet to taste

1. cube the pumpkin flesh (you do not need to peel the pumpkin unless the skin is old and tough). dice the onion and crush the garlic clove.
2. place the pumkin, onion and galic in a saucepan with 1 tbsp of olive oil and sweat the vegetable in the oil until they begin to soften. cover the pan and continue to sweat the vegetable until the pumpkin is soft. process or mash the pumkin and onion mixture to a smooth puree.
3. cut the vegetable into pieces that will cool in a equal amount of time. place in a saucepan with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and sweat the vegetable until they begin to soften and brown
4. add the spices and cook for 2 min.
5. dissolve the creamed coconut in the vegetable stock and add to the vegetables in the pan. bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are just cooked.
6 add the pureed pumpkin, mix well and continue to cook for another 5 min. to allow the flavours to blend. season with salt and pepper and serve with rice and salads. this dish freezes well

ps. i will not do the calories info since it depends on what veggies you use. but i think it will be quite low.

Pumpkin Pie (sugarless)
serves 4

1 lb pumpkin flesh
1 cup dried fates
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
2 tbsp flour (they say soya flour, but whole wheat or white is fine)
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves

pastry base
1/3 cup ground almonds
6 tbsp flour ( they say rice)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp sunflower oil
2 tbsp tahini

or be lazy like me and use the frosen kind. or any other pastry base

1. prepare the pastry base, place the pastry ingrediants in the food processor and process until the mixture forms crumbs. press the crumbs mixture into the base, but not the sides of a 20-22 cm/8-9 inch flan dish.
2. bake the pastry case in a preheated 200 c or 400 f over for 15 min or until it is beginning to brown around the edges.
3. dice the pumpkin flesh (dont need to peel the pumkin)and steam for a approx. 15 min or until soft
4. finaly chop the dates and stew in the water until soft
5.place all the filling ingrediant in a food processor until smooth or mash until smooth.
6. pour the mixture in the cooked pastry
7. place in a preheated over at 200c or 400f for 15 min then lower the temperature to 150c or 300f for an other 30 min. this pie freezes well

Amount Per Serving ( for the filling only)

Calories 171.7
Total Fat 2.8 g
Saturated Fat 0.8 g
Sodium 303.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
Sugars 21.0 g
Protein 5.8 g

enjoy !!
may

Replies

• may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hello all,

heres a couple pumpkin recipes i got form my cooking without book, i'd though i'd share
    i've bought i pumkin, i will carve it out with my nieces on friday then i'll cook it on saturday .lol
    **disclaimer, i have not tryed them out yet, but normaly this cookbook is pretty good**

Fresh tomato, mint and pumpkin soup
    serves 4

2 onions
    2tsp olive oil
    1 1/4 lbs pumpkin flesh
    2 1/2 cups water or vegetable stock
    1 1/4 lbs fresh tomatoes (could use cans)
    1 heaped tbsp tomato paste
    1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
    1 tbsp choppe fresh parsley
    salt - pepper to taste

1. finely dice the onions and place in a saucepan with the olive oil.
    sweat the onions in the oil until they begin to soften
    2. dice the pumpkin flesh and add to the pan, continue to sweat the vegetable until the pumpkin begins to soften. add the stock or water, bring to the boil and simmer until the pumkin is cooked.
    3. place the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 sec. to loosen the skins, then peel them. place the pumkin and onion mixture in a food processor with the peeled tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs and process. if you do not have a food processor , mash the cookd pumkin and onion, and finely dice the tomatoes before adding.
    4. return the ingrediants to the pan and bring to the boil. remoce from the heat, season to taste and serve

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 104.9
    Total Fat 2.9 g
    Saturated Fat 0.4 g
    Sodium 408.4 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
    Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
    Sugars 2.4 g
    Protein 3.2 g

Winter vegetable and pumpkin curry
    serves 4

1 lb pumpkin flesh
    2 onion
    1 garlic clove
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 lbs selection of vegetable e.g. leeks, onions
    parsnip, carrots, celeriac, swede, mushrooms, fennel
    1tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp garam masala
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground fennel
    1/4 tsp ground cardamon
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp ground ginger (its ok if you dont have all of them)
    2 oz creamed coconut
    1 1/4 cup vegetable stock
    salt peppet to taste

1. cube the pumpkin flesh (you do not need to peel the pumpkin unless the skin is old and tough). dice the onion and crush the garlic clove.
    2. place the pumkin, onion and galic in a saucepan with 1 tbsp of olive oil and sweat the vegetable in the oil until they begin to soften. cover the pan and continue to sweat the vegetable until the pumpkin is soft. process or mash the pumkin and onion mixture to a smooth puree.
    3. cut the vegetable into pieces that will cool in a equal amount of time. place in a saucepan with the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil and sweat the vegetable until they begin to soften and brown
    4. add the spices and cook for 2 min.
    5. dissolve the creamed coconut in the vegetable stock and add to the vegetables in the pan. bring to the boil and simmer until the vegetables are just cooked.
    6 add the pureed pumpkin, mix well and continue to cook for another 5 min. to allow the flavours to blend. season with salt and pepper and serve with rice and salads. this dish freezes well

ps. i will not do the calories info since it depends on what veggies you use. but i think it will be quite low.

Pumpkin Pie (sugarless)
    serves 4

1 lb pumpkin flesh
    1 cup dried fates
    1/2 cup water
    2 eggs
    2 tbsp flour (they say soya flour, but whole wheat or white is fine)
    1/4 cup soy milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp allspice
    1/8 tsp ground cloves

pastry base
    1/3 cup ground almonds
    6 tbsp flour ( they say rice)
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/8 tsp ground cloves
    2 tbsp water
    1 tbsp sunflower oil
    2 tbsp tahini

or be lazy like me and use the frosen kind. or any other pastry base

1. prepare the pastry base, place the pastry ingrediants in the food processor and process until the mixture forms crumbs. press the crumbs mixture into the base, but not the sides of a 20-22 cm/8-9 inch flan dish.
    2. bake the pastry case in a preheated 200 c or 400 f over for 15 min or until it is beginning to brown around the edges.
    3. dice the pumpkin flesh (dont need to peel the pumkin)and steam for a approx. 15 min or until soft
    4. finaly chop the dates and stew in the water until soft
    5.place all the filling ingrediant in a food processor until smooth or mash until smooth.
    6. pour the mixture in the cooked pastry
    7. place in a preheated over at 200c or 400f for 15 min then lower the temperature to 150c or 300f for an other 30 min. this pie freezes well

Amount Per Serving ( for the filling only)

Calories 171.7
    Total Fat 2.8 g
    Saturated Fat 0.8 g
    Sodium 303.7 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 34.3 g
    Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
    Sugars 21.0 g
    Protein 5.8 g

enjoy !!
    may
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My mom has made a pumpkin curry similar to that one with chicken in it and it is phenominal!!