Just because it's vegetarian or vegan doesn't mean it's good

Options
Garae
Garae Posts: 116 Member
Ah! Last night I went out for a couple of drinks, and got drunk quicker than normal...soo... i got the drunk munchies!
I went to Maoz's vegetarian sandwich, turns out, it's 474 cals + more depending on toppings.

WTF!!!!

http://www.maozusa.com/nutritional-values

Replies

• kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    case in point, fettichini alfredo..easily a million calories. also vegetarian. your point?
  • Garae
    Options
    case in point, fettichini alfredo..easily a million calories. also vegetarian. your point?

My point is not to be lazy and actually check what you're eating regardless of it being "Vegan" "Organic" "Vegetarian" or "All Natural" -
  • Windress
    Windress Posts: 22
    Options
    More often than not, the "Vegetarian" option at any given restaurant is typically one of the more unhealthy items on the menu. It's because the default replacement for meat-based protein is (sadly) Carbs.
  • Garae
    Options
    More often than not, the "Vegetarian" option at any given restaurant is typically one of the more unhealthy items on the menu. It's because the default replacement for meat-based protein is (sadly) Carbs.

This is very true. Makes me want to consider eating fish again haha.
  • Windress
    Windress Posts: 22
    Options

This is very true. Makes me want to consider eating fish again haha.

To be honest, that's what I had to do. In order to reach my protein goals and avoid having to resort to eating only the "sides" at a restaurant, I opted to continue eating white fish and tuna. It's the best compromise I could come up with, being that I live in Texas and Vegetarian restaurants are few and far between.

Best of luck!
  • racecate
    racecate Posts: 5
    Options
    hi there :) i'm lucky to live in an area that has tons of vegan and vegetarian restaurants, which is really nice because the meals are balanced and they aren't all carb heavy or meat substitutes. if it weren't for the accessibility of the foods i do eat, it would be so hard for me to maintain being vegan.
    my husband eats fish and it agrees with his system- seems like fish is a good choice!

have a great day:)
  • sarahsfaith
    sarahsfaith Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegan for a couple of years now and well... I'm trying to gain weight. I know not all vegan food is ultra healthy, but when you chose to cook your own vegan/vegetarian meals at home, you'll see that a lot of them are low calorie... so I have been adding more olive oil, nuts etc so I can gain weight bc my normal meals are really low carb/low calories
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Agree. =( had a vege burrito today, and looked it up...never looked at calories before...1,000 calories >___<
  • tushiness
    tushiness Posts: 29
    Options
    Ofcourse never assume the vegetarian option is healthy! more often than not its the worst!

Went out last night and the only vegetarian option on the menu was risotto (filled with butter and oil and what not) and a side of green beans..again lathered with butter :S yuck
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with a lot of calories. Calories aren't bad at all -- it depends on what's in the food.