White Bean Dip

Options
kgagnon7779
kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
I think a variation of this has been on here before, but I wanted you all to know what I do with this dip! I use it on everything.

I don't have a real set recipe - I kind of just throw things into my food processor.

2 cans of white beans (I use cannelini/white kidney beans). Rinse.
2 cloves of garlic (I REALLY like garlic)
1/2 lemon squeezed
roughly half of a package of frozen spinach (rinsed and squeezed dry)
Salt and Pepper to season.

Pulse in the processor and use EVOO just to smooth it out and give it moisture - I was thinking that Greek yogurt could be used here too to cut down on fat, but I haven't tried it yet. I think I typically end up using around 1 TBLS of oil. Just keep tasting it to get it to the flavor and consistency you like,

Anyway - now the good part. I use this dip nearly every day. I put a blob on my plate in the morning and top it with egg white scramble, salsa, little cheese and some veggie sausage. I spread it on a whole wheat tortilla, top with turkey, veggies and whatever else and wrap it up. I spread it on a pocket-less pita, top with shredded cheese, and whatever else I have and pop in the oven and have a little yummy pizza. It adds SO much flavor to everything. Not to mention, you can also just dip some celery and carrots into it for a little snack. Oh and I also spread it out on my dinner plate and top it with a piece of Tilapia with a side of veggies.

It's the dip that keeps on giving!!

Replies

• DanaLynnMN
    DanaLynnMN Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    BUMP

How long will this keep in the fridge?
    I'm sure you go through it pretty quick...but I'm thinking of making a larger batch to last a while.
    My sister brought something similar to this to a gathering and I LOVED it!!! So good on veggies.
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    BUMP

How long will this keep in the fridge?
    I'm sure you go through it pretty quick...but I'm thinking of making a larger batch to last a while.
    My sister brought something similar to this to a gathering and I LOVED it!!! So good on veggies.

I make it last about a week - maybe a week and a half. I've noticed that bean-based food spoils faster than other things in the fridge. If something smells in the fridge - it's ALWAYS the black beans in my tupperware!

You'll find that after making this a few times, it's so simple that you can just whip up another batch without much thought.

By the way - I noticed you're from MN - I grew up in Waconia - do you know where that is?
  • DanaLynnMN
    DanaLynnMN Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yeah.....I know where Waconia is. It's about a half hour west of where I live. I'm in Robbinsdale.
    It's a HOT one here today!! Thick and muggy!! Good day to try out this dip with some veggies!
  • bikerb422
    bikerb422 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :happy:
  • chelsea_carter22
    chelsea_carter22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump :love:
  • MeredithRN
    MeredithRN Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yum
  • sms9497
    sms9497 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Your receipe is a lot like humus - I will try it!
  • winneau
    Options
    Made this today with just a hand mixer and it turned out wonderfully!!! I used dried great northern white beans that I cooked myself, so the sodium stayed low and I could boil the heck out of 'em to make them really soft to start with. I also added kale to the spinach. Soooo delicious and versatile!!!
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    Made this today with just a hand mixer and it turned out wonderfully!!! I used dried great northern white beans that I cooked myself, so the sodium stayed low and I could boil the heck out of 'em to make them really soft to start with. I also added kale to the spinach. Soooo delicious and versatile!!!

Yay! So glad you liked it. Good call on the Kale - I'm assuming you blanched it first?
  • meganwolsker
    Options
    bump
  • Buckeye_Jenn
    Buckeye_Jenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    That sounds delicious!
  • winneau
    Options
    Yep :) I was cooking some kale anyhow, so I just threw a bit in for good measure. Thanks for the great recipe!! I'll definitely be making this again.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!! I eat hummus everyday and this would be a great (and less expensive) alternative. I am making this tomorrow night!!

I am thinking the bean dip on some baked pita chips topped with some tuna for lunch!!

BTW: I tried making my own hummus and it was awful!! I followed a 4-star recipe that was almost the same as others on the internet.
  • taractapita
    Options
    What's the calories on this per serving?
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    What's the calories on this per serving?

With 14 servings, it comes out to 65 calories per serving.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I made this last night and it is great!! I had to add more olive oil than called for, probably 3 TB total, to smooth it out. Also only used one large clove of garlic.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the dip I am always looking for low cal dips.

I will be trying this.
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Definitely bump. Thanks!
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Definitely bump. Thanks!