Heat and exercise

Options
What is a good way to get exercise in, when the heat index is over 100? I can't really exercise outside, I have no real air conditioning for inside, and no money for a gym. I tried to weed my garden today and almost passed out in the heat. Any ideas?? What is your favorite way to exercise in extreme heat?

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I bought a stand for my bicycle. I can ride my bike as a stationary bike and I use a interval timer. Great indoor workout.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i will swim or do a workout video with a fan blowing on me then take a shower
  • campb2ti
    campb2ti Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When it is hot outside i try to either get up before it starts to really get hot to exercise OR wait until it starts to cool off in the evening and have a go at it!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Can you go out early in the morning or late at night to exercise, and follow it up with a cold/cool shower? I'm in Texas and it is pretty brutal here (107 yesterday), but at least I have air conditioning, so I do a fair amount inside, but I do still run outside a few days a week, and that's how I handle it. It actually feels pretty great after that shower :-) Do you have access to a pool at all? Also, make sure you are staying hydrated - lots of water all day long, not just before and after exercising. Plus, if you get out there regularly, your body will start to acclimate (or fall will get here, whichever comes first :-) ).
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    or find a nice mall to walk around in, go for a swim @ the beach or a friends pool, keep it simple, have your fluids handy.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    i dunno. i like working out in heat.. cant stand the cold. i normal work out with a jumper on...
  • losingnow
    losingnow Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your ideas! I am very heat sensitive because of some medications i have to take so I get really hot really fast and this weather is unbearable. Also my IBS is going crazy because of the heat, but I still want to do some form of exercise, I feel so lazy! I appreciate all your suggestions!!
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    Wake up really early.
  • dointime
    dointime Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think swimming or mall walking are great ideas. Most malls open early for the walkers too.
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm a night owl so I usually exercise around midnight. It's pretty comfortable by then. Mall walking is a good option for day time exercise. Make sure you drink lots of water!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay cooler if my hair is wet. If it's really bad out, I'll freeze a wet towel, and once it's good and frosty, I'll put it around my neck. It's an instant chill.