Cardio for someone who is unable to run...

Options
As you can tell by my name, I am a runner. Or I used to be, anyway. Long story short, I injured by back in 2009 and have been suffering the pain for 2 years. I am in my second bout of physical therapy, I have had cortisone shots...the whole bit.

I'm looking for low to no impact cardio that I can do until my doctor releases me to run. Right now the only thing I am allowed to do is walk leisurely...can we say "boring"? :huh:

Any ideas?

Replies

• fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Swim. No impact, super fun, and effective.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I definitely second the swimming recommendation. When I came down with plantar fasciitis and a whole host of other running injuries, I swam until I was able to run again. Low impact and definitely a great upper body work out.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    spinning class maybe :)
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yep, I vote swim. Are you able to use a recumbent bike? Most gyms will have the machines that simulate these.
  • MeganMac17
    MeganMac17 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As your PT for ideas. I like the swimming recommendation too!

Also, you might be able to use the elliptical? Your feet aren't pounding on the pavement like they are when running, so that might be an option!
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I definitely second the swimming recommendation. When I came down with plantar fasciitis and a whole host of other running injuries, I swam until I was able to run again. Low impact and definitely a great upper body work out.

How long did it take for your foot to heal?? I think that might be my problem and it is sooooo painful!
  • duckworthk
    Options
    I take an aqua fitness class 4 mornings a week and it has helped me so much. I just joined My Fitness Pal, but have lost 28 lbs in the last 18 months. I have very bad osteoarthritis so low impact is a must!!
  • rebsaganes
    rebsaganes Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I had back surgery in February & am still struggling. I walk, a lot. I can also bike, swim or step. I have lived with pain for years too. I do so much better when I am in shape. That's why I'm here.:ohwell: Best of luck!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options

How long did it take for your foot to heal?? I think that might be my problem and it is sooooo painful!

This was back in 2009 and it took me about a month or more before I could run again without feeling like the plantar faciia was going to tear! Does your PF come on suddenly without warning? Or have you been dealing with it on and off for a while?
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, had a round of 3 injections (nerve block) in my spine in December. I was told not to do it and I did anyway, I know shame on me but I am still kicking. I am hoping with any luck I will get all of this weight off and I won't need to worry anymore. Problem is I still have pain everyday does not matter that I have lost 50lbs so I am just hoping that since I have strengthened my stomach that I won't start throwing out again and again. We will see. I hope that you find something that helps because for me swimming is probably the best, it still hurts but not as bad as my workout videos. When you get the clear or if you are like me and do things anyway I would work on strengthening your core that will hopefully prevent you from reinjuring your back. Good Luck
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Swimming is hard because I don't have a pool that is easily available. And I don't own a suit. I'm looking at possibly joining a gym, but now we are buying a house and I'm not sure we will be able to afford it for awhile...

I'm looking for a bike helmet so that I can bike around town and the country roads, but the seat tends to cause my back to ache the next day. Anyone know of a good brand of bike seat? I like the wide ones with the gel...those hurt a lot less...
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the others...SWIM!! I go to water aerobics at least 5 times a week. It is low impact, but really gets my heart rate up. You can work it as hard as you want to. I burn about 300-350 calories an hour and my heart rate does get up in "the zone".
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Swimming is hard because I don't have a pool that is easily available. And I don't own a suit. I'm looking at possibly joining a gym, but now we are buying a house and I'm not sure we will be able to afford it for awhile...

I'm looking for a bike helmet so that I can bike around town and the country roads, but the seat tends to cause my back to ache the next day. Anyone know of a good brand of bike seat? I like the wide ones with the gel...those hurt a lot less...

Do you have a YMCA or YWCA within driving distance from where you live? That is where I go. They even do sponsored memberships if money is an issue. Also, most swim suits are 50% off this late in the season...just go get one.
  • JoyK76
    JoyK76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Swimming or water aerobics, definitely. I'm a beginner when it comes to working out. I'm not a runner so I do water aerobics, walk outside, walking on a treadmill (the machines at my YMCA can have the incline adjusted for more of a work out), and after reading someone's post on MFP, I checked out some of Leslie Sansone's Walk at home videos. Although some of them do have faster movements (for example, one of her 4 mile dvds has some "boosted walking", as she calls it, but its actually jogging- she has a few people on her team doing low impact while she does the faster stuff so you can always adjust the work out to be lower impact).

And as someone else mentioned, a recumbent stationary bike would be good too.
  • katemarjoram
    katemarjoram Posts: 203
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've had a back injury for over two years and can't run at the moment either and my physio has also said no to swimming. I have been doing exercise DVDs and just modify any moves I know are likely to stir up my injury. I am having surgery tomorrow and again a fortnight later and hope I might be able to attempt running again before the end of the year.
  • flutterby6973
    Options
    i have a similar situation but will prob never be able to run again... had PT 3xs and not much help
    any way.... swimming is good but i get bored unless i am swimming with my son ... i also do the wii dancing but dont do any jumping movements so its mostly arms... still sweat so i think it works good for upper body and cardio

hope you are back to running soon : )
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    As you can tell by my name, I am a runner. Or I used to be, anyway. Long story short, I injured by back in 2009 and have been suffering the pain for 2 years. I am in my second bout of physical therapy, I have had cortisone shots...the whole bit.

I'm looking for low to no impact cardio that I can do until my doctor releases me to run. Right now the only thing I am allowed to do is walk leisurely...can we say "boring"? :huh:

Any ideas?

Swimming, cycling, elliptical, bike, rowing machine, certain types of yoga, etc. Lots of ways to get your hart rate up without the pounding!
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking dvds. I just bought mine today so haven't tried it yet. I have knee problems and when I searched low impact exercises in the forums several people recommended her dvds.
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    You know, I should probably ask my therapist if I am even allowed to swim...LOL

It's so difficult to get that rush once you've been a runner and can't run...attempting other stuff isn't as satisfying. I will try though. Thanks everyone!
  • danki11
    danki11 Posts: 9
    Options
    How about the kettlebell? The swing comes from the hips. Just my two cents.