PCOS

Options
does anyone have any tips for those of us with PCOS? I have found that low glycemic foods are important and I can feel a huge different when I don't eat very much sugar, but wondering if there are any other ideas out there.

Replies

• Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Watch your carbs, hands down one of the best pieces of advice given. Once I started watching my carbs the stubborn areas (stomach and back fat especially) started reducing. I see a lot of women with PCOS still eating a diet pretty carb laden and complaining about not getting the results they want. I try my best to stay right around 100 carbs a day, and keeping my sugar relatively low. It's tough, no doubt, but weight loss with PCOS can be accomplished.
  • dayglo4
    dayglo4 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've started trying to follow something close to the paleodiet, which involves cutting out grains and dairy, and I have to say I feel great when I follow it and my weight loss is steadier. Just have to watch that my fruit intake isn't too much.

The best thing you can do to start is remove all processed foods from your diet and all bread/baked products, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. or at least start by switching to all whole grains. Do yourself a favor and remove it from your house if you can.

I also found that removing caffeine from my diet has helped more than I expected, and I'm a coffee fiend! I still drink decaf now and then.
  • dayglo4
    dayglo4 Posts: 18
    Options
    If you eat a lot of grain carbs, try removing half of your usual portion from every meal and filling it with more veggies(green is best!) instead.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Most women with PCOS are insulin-resistant at the very least, so watching the carbs really does make a huge difference. I have also found some help with it through supplementation and regular cleansing. The easiest way for me to tell how I'm doing with the carbs is the rate of growth and coarseness of my unwanted facial hair. If it's growing slow and is finer - I'm doing good. If they come in fast and course - not so good.

Some supplements/products I've had success with: I rotate among them - I don't take them all at once:

Milk Thistle (Liver Support and Insulin sensitizing)
    Dandelion Leaf/Root (Very gentle cleansing)
    Fenugreek (Helps with Insulin Resistance)
    Red Raspberry Leaf (Supports female organs)
    Cinnamon (Insulin sensitizing)
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (Insulin sensitizing)
    Chromium Picolinate (Insulin sensitizing)
    Noni Juice (Hormone balancing)
    Cleansing formulas (My body just seems to function better overall after I've done a cleanse)

I also take supplements that are good for the heart in general, as it is also common for PCOSers to also have Metabolic Syndrome. I take:
    Flaxseed Oil / Fish Oil
    Garlic (Odorless)
    Vitamin D
    Horse Chestnut (leg circulation)

My mother, father and brother are all diabetic, and I honestly believe that one of the reasons that the supplements I take have helped me not go there in spite of the PCOS. I was told by a doctor that I was a "diabetic waiting to happen". Well, I'm going to fight it all the way, using everything in my arsenal. And that includes diet, exercise and appropriate supplementation.