Picky Eater That Can't Cook

Options
Kittyfeliz
Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
Hello MFPers. First off I just want to say, I love you guys. Seriously I would have given up 5 times just in the last 4 weeks I've been on MFP if it wasn't for you!

Anyhow... I struggle sometimes with being a picky eater. I have always been picky but in the past few years I've been more adventurous and finding new foods so that's great *pat myself on the back*. But I'm trying to find quick and easy foods that I can actually enjoy (key word!) that don't take a lot of prep or cook time, that are low cal and that fit into my rather rigid "Yum" food list. So here's the guidelines:

*I do not eat meat or fish with the exception of the occasional chicken but I'm not really the biggest fan of chicken either but I would really welcome some chicken thigh oven recipes.

*I love cheese and dairy products. I've try to stay away from yogurt because of all the sugar but anything with cheese and milk is great, especially soft cheeses like brie and babybel cheese.

*Veggies are iffy... I like the standards; broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, corn... that's about it.

*Fruits are only slightly better... melons, strawberries, pineapple, grapes... not a big fan of apples, oranges, etc.

*I try to stay away from processed foods as mush as possible and when I eat carbs they are always whole grain.

*I shop almost exclusively at Trader Joe's so no "diet" name brand foods or frozen foods from big chain grocery stores please.

So I figure there are probably a few of us out there and any ideas you can give me for meals would be great! Thanks MFPers!

Replies

• icandothistrish85
    Options
    My favorite "quick" sandwich is a Brie and Cranberry sauce sandwich on Whole Wheat bread (with or without turkey breast)
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with the lentil soup on Allrecipes.com. I think it's the first one that comes up. Sooo satisfying and a serving only has 300ish calories, but a ton of fiber and protein. It has tomatoes, carrots, and celery and chicken broth but it's pretty basic so you could probably switch those up to your tastes. I also add Canadian bacon when I reheat it for added protein.
  • phatphd
    phatphd Posts: 45
    Options
    Sounds like one place you could use food suggestions is protein. You like cheese, but don't eat meat or fish. As a vegetarian, I definitely empathize. Don't know if any of these appeal to you, but some protein sources that I really enjoy, include:
    - Beans. I add them to soups and salads for a protein and fiber punch and also use them to make dips. Kidney beans and black beans are my favorites, but I also love garbanzo beans (which make awesome hummus!).
    - Tofu. My favorite tofu preparation is grilled. I grill it with vegetables (asparagus, squash, tomatoes) and eat it as a sandwich on sprouted grain bread. But tofu is also pretty excellent stir-fried.
    - Soy. A toughie, because a lot of people have difficulty digesting soy, but there are plenty of soy products on the market (even ones available at Trader Joe's!).
    - One of my favorite go-to protein sources are the Quorn products. They are a non-soy mycoprotein based product, and I love their "naked chik'n cutlets." Easy bake and serve. I love them in salads, on sandwiches, and with a little tomato-basil pesto on top.
    - Nuts. I always keep raw almonds around. They're an excellent source of protein and healthy fat and really keep me full for a long time. I love them in salads, chopped in my oatmeal, and even plain. If you toast them, they get nuttier and even more delicious.

Hope that helps a little... and good luck with your goals!
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you like Tofu you could stir fry that with brocolli and cauliflower.
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    If you like carrots you may like sweet potatoes, butternut or acorn squash. I do not eat meat (except seafood) processed food or diet food so I eat quinoa, couscous & brown rice. Most of which can be made ahead of time in large amounts & mixed w/ things you like.
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    Options
    One breakfast wrap I found recently was ricotta, honey, almonds, and berries. I don't like fruit either, so I skip the berries, and it tastes great and has lots of protein. Plus it's really easy to make.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! There are some great ideas here!
  • JoeB71
    JoeB71 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Caprese Sandwiches are really good. (Fresh Mozzarella, tomato, fresh basil, & a drizzle of balsamic vinegar) Try it on some whole wheat ciabatta bread toasted in the oven & rubbed with garlic.