M y weight keeps fluctuating

Options
So I weighed this morning and I was at 206 yesterday I was the same weight. tonight I wanted to weight myself because I felt that I lost some weight because it was super hot and I worked out and did some yard work and burned a bunch of calories. after logging all my food for the day I was 1 calorie shy of my goal which is 1370 and I had a little over 1000 calories left. So as I stand on the scale it says that I weight 211. how is it possible that I felt lighter but weight five lbs heavier than I did this morning. maybe I just shouldn't weigh myself at night. it's kind of frustrating though. I feel as if I shouldn't have eaten at all today.

Replies

• gisellybean
    gisellybean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Our weight fluctuates so much throughout the day that it's best not to weigh yourself so much. To get an accurate reading try weighing yourself closer to once a week (alright, you can cheat... but don't dwell on the scale!) and do it at the same time each time. Morning time is best, right after you wake up and use the bathroom. Once a week at the same time will give you more accurate weight results. Good luck! =)

P.S. Don't sound so discouraged! It sounds like you're working hard.. you'll get where you need to be! :]
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    pick one time of the day to weigh yourself. You're naturally going to have a couple extra pounds in the afternoon. I always get up, pee then weigh myself. And I do it do other time but in the a.m. before I eat or drink.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    As you go about the day, you eat, you drink, you retain water from working out, all cause pounds to go on the scale. What's more important is fat weight, and unless you have a special fat scale there is absolutely no point weighing yourself more than once a day. I recommend picking a time to weigh yourself, usually in the morning after you pee before you eat or drink anything. You will still have a high possibility of having food in your gut so that can cause fluctuations as well, so I recommend the once a week weigh in at most. Otherwise you start to drive yourself batty. Weight fluctuations are completely normal and important.
  • gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my weight in to the morning I just sometimes see the scale and get too curious. I also have a hard time waiting for the one day to weigh in so I end up doing it every day to see if i've actually lost anything. but five lbs seems like a lot to fluctuate. i just hope tomorrow it goes back down.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Weigh in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating or drinking. This is the most accurate weight and even then it can still go up and down everyday depending on if you retain water or if food hasn't digested. I say weigh once a week. My day is on Sundays.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Keep it the same day of the week, and in the morning when you rise on an empty stomach.
  • idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Best time to weigh yourself is in the morning right after you wake up before you eat anything. You will naturally weigh more at night because of having eating and been active through the day. I personally weigh every day and usually every night before bed just so because I am trying to figure out what foods are okay for me and what ones to avoid. But I would not recommend stepping on the scale more than once a week if you get frustrated by it. All bodies fluctuate and it takes time to learn your body and what it is going to do with any given scenario. Best wishes to you in your journey!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I only ever weigh myself first thing in the morning, naked, after the necessary room. You will almost always weigh more at night.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself in the morning, not at night..even with working out and sweating, it still isn't as accurate..good luck, and try not to worry so much..im sure you are doing just fine :smile:
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    What they said. I say I weigh 120lbs but the scale goes as low as 118 and as high as 123 depending on the time of day, whether or not I've trained hard in the days prior, and my hydration status. Also be aware that any strength training you do will cause the muscles to swell with fluid and that will be reflected on the scale!
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    I agree. don't worry I've done the same thing, and had the same result. the main reason for the increase, is cause most of the calories we take in during the day, are burned off while we sleep. pick one day a week to weight yourself, I personally do it mondays, cause the weekly counter on here ends on sunday night. and like the other two said, weight yourself first thing in the morning, before you eat or drink anything, but after you use the washroom.

another reason for the gain, could be you gained some muscle from the workout. which weighs about twice as much as fat.

tomorrow is another day, and anything worth doing, is rarely easy.
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my weight in to the morning I just sometimes see the scale and get too curious. I also have a hard time waiting for the one day to weigh in so I end up doing it every day to see if i've actually lost anything. but five lbs seems like a lot to fluctuate. i just hope tomorrow it goes back down.

I know how you feel. One day I was 198 the next day in the morning I was 202. I couldn't believe it because I had been staying within my calorie allowance and working out like crazy. I thought it might be too much sodium. I has taken me a week to get back to 198. Some think that am eating too few calories so I am kinda increasing my calories for about a week and eating just 200 calories back from exercise if needed. Don't feel discouraged and maybe the scale will start moving toward the "right" direction again. :)

Also it will be best to weigh yourself in the morning before you eat breakfast.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Basically you wouldn't have gained 5lbs in one day. I always found that after my work out I weighed more - which was always disheartening and de-motivating, so I don't do it anymore, it could be down to your muscles feeling tight and your body not being hydrated enough.

It's fine to weigh yourself as much as you want, but my advice is to only really take notice of the same time a week weigh in....
  • gcooper7
    gcooper7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess seeing that I'm not the only person who has had the issue I feel a little better. I am going to continue to weigh myself just to see where I'm at "roughly" but I will only set one time of the week to record my weight and I will only record that weight in the morning after the bathroom and before digesting anything. I've noticed a trend of losing some weight and it goes up a pound or two then back down another pound or two. It's kind of like a teeter totter that is slowly going down.