Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pain over hip bones during ab work

Atlantique
Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
I really hadn't been doing much ab work outside of yoga classes until recently. Now that I've lost weight, I'm finding that even laying on a mat, my hip bones press into the floor enough to be painful when doing ab exercises on my back. I'm not looking to add fat back to them, but is there a way to maybe build some muscle over them for a bit more cushioning?

Replies

• I had that problem and found out it was my bursa. My hip and my back hurt and it was more of an ache than a hurt. A chiropractor fixed mine. Sometimes ibuprofen helps.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    I had that problem and found out it was my bursa. My hip and my back hurt and it was more of an ache than a hurt. A chiropractor fixed mine. Sometimes ibuprofen helps.

It's not a joint problem, it's literally that there's no cushioning over the top of the hip bones and they press into the floor.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    I also have this problem when I'm on my side on a mat in the gym. It's really noticeably painful over just the hipbone area. My BMI is 23.2 or so and there's plenty of jiggle left in my *kitten* so I don't really understand why it's so bad. Thinner girls than me don't seem to have this problem. Anyone got any ideas?
  • foodforfuel
    foodforfuel Posts: 569 Member
    Maybe fold up or roll up a towel and put it under the area for extra padding? I have to do this sometimes for certain exercises.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Maybe fold up or roll up a towel and put it under the area for extra padding? I have to do this sometimes for certain exercises.

Yeah I think I'm going to have to do this but I still don't know why really skinny girls at my gym don't seem to have this problem. Maybe they have more padding on the side but a flatter butt?