Work gets in the way. I need advice/support/ anything!

Options
For my job, I am a waitress. After, and before meals, we are offered food to eat. Of course! free food! i take it. I watch the portions. But theres so much food out, i take a little bit of each. and it's all homemade, I don't really know the calories of each and estimate on the exact portions. So i eat at work, then on breaks I go home, and usually its after i get off at night, I'll eat a second dinner. The calories just load up. I do walk a lot throughout the day at a face pace too when the meals are going on. But still. I don't know how to say no to all the food, or just come home and not eat anything. And usually i'm not even hungry at all cause it's hot and I serve it all day, so my stomach just isn't hungry. It just all looks so good I can't refuse it.

How do you say no to free food?
How can you stay motivated to not eat anything when you're not hungry?
What would you do?

Replies

• weeze_h
    weeze_h Posts: 72
    Options
    is there any way you could take the free food, put it aside and take it home once you finish and have a buffet dinner there?

Doesn't really help with the calorie counting but overall it would be less...

i think i'd find it hard in your position too!!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Tell the people at your work not to offer you any food, or to only offer you a bite. And I mean one bite on a plate, not a ful portion. If you don't trust yourself, get others to help you find your own limits. Then savor the bite. Focus on it, experience it, and walk away.

Second idea: create a smaller portion for your second dinner at home... smaller plate, smaller serving, more fruits and veggies.

Good luck!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have a simliar situation at work...only I am a lunchlady and our food is NOT homemade! My hang up was cheeseburgers and french toast sticks! Imagine the kids who do eat it everyday! Before school let out I managed to start bringing my own salad (school offered a salad bar too) and when I forgot to pack, I just sat and had water. As long as you are aware, you have already taken the first step!
  • uniqute1888
    uniqute1888 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I work in a restaurant as well... First i made it known to everyone that i was eating healthy Then I packed my own lunch/ dinnner -That way i feel guilty for not eating the food i brought n bought...
    My co-workers have been very supportive and call me out whenever they see me taking a wrong bite. And they all also know when i order food at work on the days i didnt have time because its almost always steamed everything and a small side of sauce lol

Good luck feel free to add!
  • ladysarahbell
    ladysarahbell Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to say no. I've gone to lots of gatherings lately and of course they have food and I've said no. Although everyone tells me I look good and it's not going to hurt me, I am sticking to my diet. So don't be afraid to say no!
  • pgsongbird
    pgsongbird Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try "low carb nibbling" ---eat anything except the "white" foods. No bread, no potatoes!
  • SmileeBarbFLA
    Options
    Chew sugarless gum!!!! I was a server and a bartender once before too so I understand fully! And I worked at a Mexican Restaurant with chips & salsa....I LOVE chips and salsa!!! But I know sometimes they have rules against gum chewing as it may be considered rude. But I mean when you are done with the busy part of the shift without customers and cleaning up, or in the back where they are offering food, CHEW GUM!! It's my lifesaver in situations like that. My mouth is busy chewing that and tastes minty so I don't wanna shovel any other food in it. Good luck, hope it helps you like it has helped me,..
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am also a waitress and have been for over 10 years. We have an excellent buffet, almost any kind of food you could imagine. I have eaten way too much way too many times. Now I try to bring a lunch from home most of the time. If I do eat from the buffet, I try to get a small portion of 4 or 5 things instead of a little bit of many. Sometimes it is hard to do, but I know I have to do it for myself. I hurt no one but myself by overeating.
  • TTHdred
    TTHdred Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I definitely think brining your own foods will help. You won’t want it to go to waist, etc. Also try eating beforehand. You seem to know when they bring out the free stuff. Even if you nibble being full you may naturally eat less.
  • xxbeautiful1xx
    Options
    Thank you all so much for this advice! It will deffinatly help me alot. Which is what i needed! :)