Nails Splitting and Peeling

Options
VenusEnvy
VenusEnvy Posts: 92 Member
For the past couple of months since I started paying more attention to my diet, my nails are splitting and peeling like crazy. I have to trim them as short as possible. I take a daily multivitamin and recently added biotin as a result of this problem. I use OPI Sensitive and Peeling per the instructions without any improvement. I use gloves when housecleaning to keep from putting my hands in water too much and I use a hand cream formulated for nails. The only changes to my diet have been an increase in the amount of protein I consume and a reduction to the 1200 calorie/day goal. Any one else experienceing this? Any ideas?

Replies

• escalante
    escalante Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am. I have allways had nice nails and they are now peeling.
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Having only eaten 1200 calories per day, compared to what you're used to, you might not be getting enough nutrition in what little food your are eating. Up the cals by 100 or 200 and try to dedicate those calories to healthy foods.
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    For the past couple of months since I started paying more attention to my diet, my nails are splitting and peeling like crazy. I have to trim them as short as possible. I take a daily multivitamin and recently added biotin as a result of this problem. I use OPI Sensitive and Peeling per the instructions without any improvement. I use gloves when housecleaning to keep from putting my hands in water too much and I use a hand cream formulated for nails. The only changes to my diet have been an increase in the amount of protein I consume and a reduction to the 1200 calorie/day goal. Any one else experienceing this? Any ideas?

sounds like a visit to the doctor may be in order, or maybe a nutritionist. you may have inadvertently decreased a nutrient necessary for healthy nails.
  • easier
    easier Posts: 11
    Options
    Could indicate a thyroid issue.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i started taking biotin (for my hair but good for nails too), as well as iron (nails can split badly when iron deficient).
    My nails had begun splitting terribly, something i had never had a problem with before.

Now it has been a few months since i started taking them, my nails are stronger than ever and my hair has stopped thinning and even getting thicker again *S*
    just took some time but definitely has made the difference!
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This is what happens when you're not eating enough food and getting enough nutrients. Not good! You need to be feeding your body, especially if you are working out.
  • bethany675
    bethany675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite until now.....even when I watched what I ate it didn't improve, then I started the EAT CLEAN (with modifications for my life) and started taking Centrum Performance. That was the ticket for me...I bought regular Centrum b/c it was cheaper and my nails became weaker. I bought the C Performance again a few days ago. Good Luck on your journey!
  • VenusEnvy
    Options
    This is what happens when you're not eating enough food and getting enough nutrients. Not good! You need to be feeding your body, especially if you are working out.

My 1200 calorie goal is net, so I eat my excercise calories burned, and my diet modification included cutting out the junk and processed stuff for fresh fruits and veggies. I'm 5'1 115lbs so 1200 calories a day to lose a pound or two of stubborn fat doesn't seem out of wack to me. The weird thing is this wasn't happening when I had a fast food diet due to a crazy work schedule of 70+ hours a week, or even two summers ago when I was working out hard and eating <900 calories a day (I know, I know... I learned from that).

Either way I do have an appointment with my doc and a dermotologist for guidance.
  • VenusEnvy
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this and to follow up...

Thank you Shelly for mentioning iron levels. Turns out this was indeed the problem. My hemoglobin and iron levels were so low I was below the point normally considered for transfusion. I had an underlying illness I had no idea about. And of course I thought my lack of energy was just laziness on my part or just pushing myself too hard with school/work/exercise. :huh:

So, just as an FYI for anyone else with this issue to definitely follow up with their doc for a simple blood test.

Thanks everyone!
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had the opposite situation - my nails used to split but now that I'm eating more veggies and taking vitamins they are so much stronger and healthier. Specifically, I'm taking a daily multi-vitamin, fish oil, and glucosamine.