Eating out..

Options
Hi guys so im going on a day trip on thursday and I really do not want to over eat or go over my calories. I will be going for dinner, I can go to any option example chinese, nandos, Tgi's, Indian, mexican etc etc you know them all. Do any of you have any idea what sort of meal I can get and how many calories are in it?

Example what would be the "healthest" option in a chinese?

Would be greatful for any tips please

Be strong

xx

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My go to chinese is broccoli beef, light on sauce (because of sodium), with 1/2 cup of brown rice.
  • GFFB
    GFFB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Stay away from anything that is fried or breaded. Stick to dishes that are high in vegetables. Seafood and chicken dishes are also good.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Dont worry too much about one meal. Portion control firstly - dont eat the full amount served.

Grilled or baked rather than fried, nothing battered, easy on the sauce.
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Hi guys so im going on a day trip on thursday and I really do not want to over eat or go over my calories. I will be going for dinner, I can go to any option example chinese, nandos, Tgi's, Indian, mexican etc etc you know them all. Do any of you have any idea what sort of meal I can get and how many calories are in it?

Example what would be the "healthest" option in a chinese?

Would be greatful for any tips please

Be strong

xx

Best advice I can give is to select a restaurant ahead of time and see if you can find the nutritional information on the Internet (if they don't have it on their website). Then pre-plan and pre-log what you will be ordering and then stick with the plan! My husband and I went to Famous Dave's for our anniversary dinner and I had a meal around 800 calories (including a beer) and moderate in sodium. I just made sure I pre-logged it so I knew what was left for the rest of the day and stayed within my limits.

For Chinese, stick with the noodles (no sauce), chicken and veggies. Most places will have low-sodium options and/or the ability to have the chicken and veggies steamed. Good luck!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I agree with pp's advice....
    For Mexican (or Tex-Mex), get charro beans instead of refried beans (less fat), and don't eat the side of rice. I also order tortilla soup instead of something that is smothered in the cheese and a sour cream sauce. Taco salads are often a good choice without the shell and without the sour cream.
    I also count out my chips before digging into the bowl... I say it is because people often salt the chips (which I don't want) but it is really because of portion control.
    Top everything with a ton of salsa. Salsa is low calories and often no-fat, with tons of flavor.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    I agree with pp's advice....
    For Mexican (or Tex-Mex), get charro beans instead of refried beans (less fat), and don't eat the side of rice. I also order tortilla soup instead of something that is smothered in the cheese and a sour cream sauce. Taco salads are often a good choice without the shell and without the sour cream.
    I also count out my chips before digging into the bowl... I say it is because people often salt the chips (which I don't want) but it is really because of portion control.
    Top everything with a ton of salsa. Salsa is low calories and often no-fat, with tons of flavor.

great...now not only am i still hungover im starving to boot :)
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    Brill advice peoples :D not as nervous now about getting of track :D xx
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

great...now not only am i still hungover im starving to boot :)

ha ha ha ha ha.......... I live in Texas, so I love our Tex-Mex here. We eat out about once a week. It's my guilty pleasure (along with coffee and dark chocolate)...........
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Jushad this same questionlast week about eating out.
    1. If you know what restaurant you can go to, check to see ifthey have the nutritional info online.
    2. If not, then go for chinese! Get steamed chicken/shrimp with mixed veggies (about 100 calories per cup) with sauce on the side. Then ask for brown rice as a substition (150 calories per cup)
    If you go for Mexican, go for the taco salad (dont eat the shell) Get chicken. Ask for the sour cream and cheese on the side so YOU can control how much you eat. Go for extra salsa to moisten the salad as a dressing.

Good Luck!
  • Libby9
    Libby9 Posts: 45
    Options
    Nandos is SO good for healthy eating. I had it last night for dinner - chicken and garden salad!! sorted!!
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    Nandos is SO good for healthy eating. I had it last night for dinner - chicken and garden salad!! sorted!!

Nandos is great, you can work out how many calories your eating from a little feature on their website!!! love it!!!