How does one get the motivation to..

Apryl546
Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
Workout when it's 92F (feels like 100+) and humidity is 68%.. and you don't have air conditioning?

I have been MISERABLE since I woke up at 8am this morning.

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    I'm so sorry because I know how that feels. I need to suggest no matter what you do, even while you are deciding what to do next DRINK WATER!! Is there a gym you can join? A shady park to walk around?
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Find a mall and walk. Just avoid the food court.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    I hit a very LOW point with motivation this weekend., though i would LOVE to have the heat you have, we don't get heat of any description in the UK. My mfp friends gave me a hand and pulled me up, dusted me down and fired me up to get back on track. this is why I love them so very much.
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Last time my AC was out I was super motivated to go to the gym...because their AC was working :D
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Check with your city's parks and rec. Here there is an indoor walking track. It is at a sportsplex above a basketball court. My be somewhere to exercise AND soak in some AC. Another option is to find a large store/mall/shoping center and go walk the aisles.
  • Apryl546
    Nearest gym is in the next town over, and I'm not about to pay them just because they have air conditioning. That and I have anxiety issues with working out around people..

Nearest mall is half hour drive away.

I wish the park I lived near had enough tree coverage to count.. But the humidty is just so bad that even being under a shady tree would do no good. :(
  • I_Got_This_23
    I_Got_This_23 Posts: 27 Member
    Invest in a window unit. People sell them all the time on Craig's list, or even a small one brand new will be less than $100. Put it in a room with a TV and DVD player, rent/borrow some work out DVD's. And if possible, sleep in that room too, cuz going through this summer without A/C is gonna be awful!
  • Apryl546
    Invest in a window unit. People sell them all the time on Craig's list, or even a small one brand new will be less than $100. Put it in a room with a TV and DVD player, rent/borrow some work out DVD's. And if possible, sleep in that room too, cuz going through this summer without A/C is gonna be awful!
    That's exactly what I have.. I have 1 window unit and 1 standing fan.. both on me right now.
    They are doing no justice. My glasses keep fogging up on me :(
  • Rain rain rain here :( would love some heat or at least some dryness!! lol
  • Marylovell
    Marylovell Posts: 19 Member
    Drink plenty of water and just do the walking late in the day, closer to sundown, or early in the morning before it gets to the hottest. Walking is great exercise, so it counts.
  • Hey girl,

I live in 100+ weather, today is 113. Use to your advantage. Sweat, sweat, sweat....Its good for the body, just remember like everyone is telling you, drink LOTs of water. No complaining...just keep climbing...never let yourself say "I can't"! You can! Get creative. You can do it! Just remember that your here for support, so don't get negative, get motivated!

Have a great day!!

"Always challenge yourself"
    -Rachel
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    The mall might be worth the drive. Walk it for an hour to hour and half to make it worth the drive. :)

Workout early in the morning or late in the day. Stay hydrated.

I live in Texas, so I understand 90's and high humidity. Just played a couple of softball games out there.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    is there a pool nearby? go swimming!
  • ste73
    ste73 Posts: 90
    Move to the UK we never have that problem here lol
  • Jenlynphi
    Jenlynphi Posts: 183 Member
    I'm from the south so I completely understand about the heat and humidity. Do you have a friend's house that you can workout in? Maybe you can workout together. If not, I would just take a long walk in the evening until you can get your window unit fixed. It's better than nothing.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    Hun I don't know where you're at but I'm feeling your pain. My whole thing today is the climbing to turn the a/c on and off as it doesn't have a thermostat and I'm afraid of the electric bill. I'm desperately trying to get some motivation to go for a walk, but it's not helping. It's still 93 outside with heat index above 100, and last time I got overheated I spent the night in the bathroom throwing up. Here's hoping the heat doesn't last long where you're at. A cool shower can help cool you down. dampen your top sheet before bed and with the fan blowing on it it will be a lot cooler. As for motivation to exercise today I'm sorry I have none myself. Tomorrow is another day :) Stay cool
  • Merrymel
    Merrymel Posts: 15
    Here in South Louisiana it is HOT, HUMID, and STICKY....I like to walk early on the weekends.....then A COLD SHOWER helps very much. Also watermelon and cantaloupe really does cool down your body temperature. Keep on track. Never give in to excuses....
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    I feel ya.. I'm near chicago IL, and it is hot as hot can be here... it's supposed to storm though, but I don't think it will do any justice.

If you do decide to go for a short walk or something outside, make sure you have water and do it in the early morning or late at night. Then stay inside for the rest of the day.. cause its not worth killing your self over some exercise.
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    I feel ya.. I'm near chicago IL, and it is hot as hot can be here... it's supposed to storm though, but I don't think it will do any justice.

If you do decide to go for a short walk or something outside, make sure you have water and do it in the early morning or late at night. Then stay inside for the rest of the day.. cause its not worth killing your self over some exercise.

Not sure where you are at in the area, but I know we didn't see any relief in the rain this morning down in OakBrook, it is so nasty yucky out still...

a good friend suggested going walking about 5 am before the sun comes up, but where I could and would walk I'd be arrested since it won't open till sunrise...maybe you can just pace around your apt? or go out do your bit of walking then race back inside and take a cold shower...best of luck.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

Not sure where you are at in the area, but I know we didn't see any relief in the rain this morning down in OakBrook, it is so nasty yucky out still...

a good friend suggested going walking about 5 am before the sun comes up, but where I could and would walk I'd be arrested since it won't open till sunrise...maybe you can just pace around your apt? or go out do your bit of walking then race back inside and take a cold shower...best of luck.

I'm in Arlington Heights and we didn't even get rain... and my mom and I ran to target last night around 7 and it was an oven out.

Op, hoping that the situation gets better.. it's crazy out there!