is 1200 calories enough?

Options
so my limit is 1230 calories a day to eat ive came across a few people saying 1200 calories is NOT enough and will cause you to end up in the hospital is this true or is 1200 plenty?

Replies

• 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    How many calories a person needs depends on their sex, how active they are already, their height. I am a short, sedentary female, so 1200 is my goal plus I get more when I exercise. So far, I haven't been hospitalized :flowerforyou:
  • prettylittlechubby
    Options
    Everyone is different, they usually recommend you dont go under 1200 but dont worry you wont get hospitalised. As long as you eat healthy and exercise, if around 1200 calories is what you body needs then that is ok :D dont worry x
  • Nichole90
    Nichole90 Posts: 118
    Options
    thanks how long has it takin you to lose 15lbs if you dont mind me asking and how much excerise do you do
  • Gary44
    Gary44 Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a 56 year old male. I usually take in between 1200 and 1300 per day. The key is to eat small meals but eat 4 to 5 times a day.

3068188.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    They are talking about 1200 "net" calories. However everyone is different whether you are male or female...if you exercise and how much of it, and so on.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    There are many days I ear around 1200 calories and have been just fine. Everyone is different :)
  • Nichole90
    Options
    what are net calories?
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    so my limit is 1230 calories a day to eat ive came across a few people saying 1200 calories is NOT enough and will cause you to end up in the hospital is this true or is 1200 plenty?
    I get 1210....dont go under 1200 is recomended by all...you will be fine ...and you can change the protein,carbs & sugar and just about everything if you want.....Im 5'4 and now 209.8lbs....i had major lost this week and i even upped my ratio to 40:30:30....just gotta find what works for you and play with the numbers.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    what are net calories?

your net calories is your food minus your exercise = net calories.........they take off calories and add them back on for exercise.....some eat them all or 1/2 back.....I only eat some.....just everyone is different so play with those numbers also....I always make sure my food is not under 1200.....again, just gotta find what works for you...
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    thanks how long has it takin you to lose 15lbs if you dont mind me asking and how much excerise do you do

I've been here since October. It's taken me a long time because I haven't always been great w/staying within my calorie goal. :blushing: Plus, I've had a extremely stressful year w/hubby being hospitalized 5 times this year. As far as exercise goes, it was pretty sporadic til June 17 when hubby transferred his gym membership to me (due to heart issues he's dealing with). My goal is to exercise 30 mins a day, but it varies. So far, I've been able to go to the gym 4-6 times per week and I'm there for 30-60 min.
    I do the ellilptical and/or the treadmill depending on my mood. Btw, I am 50, and have fibromyalgia,

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Nichole90
    Options
    thanks and im sorry to hear about your husband and your health