Good fishing rod for beginners?

Options
KJackson50
KJackson50 Posts: 41 Member
Hey MFP family, just looking for suggestions on a good rod for someone just starting to fish for the first time...Also if you can put a price as well.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sarahemily86
    sarahemily86 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi! What kind of fish are they looking to catch? I just started last spring and I've got a 9' Ugly Stick. My bf says that I can use this size rod for any type of fish I want to catch, from pan fish to salmon. We can't afford multiple rods for all the different species. It's been fun learning how to cast it, especially bc I'm only 5'2. You should check out Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Gander Mountain... they are constantly running different sales, I used to work at Bass Pro, there was always a sale going on!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Hi! What kind of fish are they looking to catch? I just started last spring and I've got a 9' Ugly Stick. My bf says that I can use this size rod for any type of fish I want to catch, from pan fish to salmon. We can't afford multiple rods for all the different species. It's been fun learning how to cast it, especially bc I'm only 5'2. You should check out Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Gander Mountain... they are constantly running different sales, I used to work at Bass Pro, there was always a sale going on!

I was gonna say the same thing!
  • KJackson50
    Options
    I'm going to be fishing in a lake, so I'm not sure what type of fish are in there (just starting)
  • sarahemily86
    sarahemily86 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    There's no telling what's in the lake you'll be fishing in, lol... we catch a lot of large mouth bass, rock bass, pike, walleye...

You can always just go with a rod and reel combo that is for multiple species... I would recommend going to a outdoors store and talk with a sales associate.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    Just went fishing on Lake Winnipesaikee in NH, the ex swears by Walmart.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to second the Ugly Stick recommendation.
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Got an awesome pink 9ft 'Ugly Stik' pole at Walmart. Bout $22. Excellent pole. First time fishing was a few weeks ago. Very easy to cast.
  • KJackson50
    Options
    I went up to WalMart the other day and talked to the associate. They were telling me about a Shakespere rod called the Tiger? It was under 20 bucks and it's a rod/reel combo. Looked pretty nice.

She also told me I didn't need all the lure and hooks crap that came with some combos, so I was planning on buying the rod, a few hooks, some bait, and also that thing that makes it float (lol can't remember the name).

They were out of Ugly Stiks (well at least the ones I could afford) for the record, but the rod they showed me was from the same company so what do you guys think?
  • KJackson50
    Options
    There's no telling what's in the lake you'll be fishing in, lol... we catch a lot of large mouth bass, rock bass, pike, walleye...

You can always just go with a rod and reel combo that is for multiple species... I would recommend going to a outdoors store and talk with a sales associate.

Yeah the lake I want to fish had info about the lake and the fish in it, they have bass, silverfish, and black crappie (specks), and also catfish.