Not enough sleep. Anyone try melatonin?

Options
2»

Replies

• gf320
    gf320 Posts: 13
    Options
    I swear by melatonin. Make sure you have 7-8 hours to sleep, though. I take it 10-15 minutes before I lay down, knocks me right out. I love it.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I love melatonin. When I worked overnights, it would be broad daylight when I was trying to sleep. A little melatonin always helped me fall asleep easier. If I've had a few nights of terrible sleep, I'll take some melatonin to help me get a good night's sleep. I never feel groggy the next day, and I haven't had any crazy dreams while taking it.
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    I have used it, and still do when I have trouble sleeping, and I love it. It doesn't make you sleepy - it slows down the chatter in your head so it's easier to fall asleep, and I never have any problems staying asleep! I like to make sure I have 7-8 hours of sleep, but if I get less, I still don't feel drowsy the next day. Try it, you might like it!
  • jdubsmuscle
    Options
    i have also used it, it's very helpful and natural
  • pvesey
    pvesey Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have had problems sleeping for years. I now take 3 mg of melatonin plus B-6, I wear a sleeping mask to keep all the light out, I spray my pillow with lavender and I have white noise in my room. It may sound crazy but the routine works! There is nothing worse than laying awake more than half the night. And there is nothing better than waking up feeling like I had a good night's sleep. I might have one or two bad nights in a month now rather than having one or two good nights in a month. Life is good!
    :smile:
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I use melatonin. My doctor told me the effects are the equivalent of a cup of warm milk. Helps me sleep - do not have any of those menopausal sleepless nights
    Part of my problem is that I am post surgical menopausal, so waking up almost always triggers a hot flash, whether it's morning or the middle of the night. The whole uncovering because I'm hot, then covering back up after makes me wake up more. That is less of a problem with warmer weather, but the sun rising earlier just makes me wake up early. I will try a sleep mask, chamomile tea, and an earlier bedtime. If it is still an issue, I will try a small dose of melatonin. Thanks for the posts!
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I use melatonin. My doctor told me the effects are the equivalent of a cup of warm milk. Helps me sleep - do not have any of those menopausal sleepless nights
    Part of my problem is that I am post surgical menopausal, so waking up almost always triggers a hot flash, whether it's morning or the middle of the night. The whole uncovering because I'm hot, then covering back up after makes me wake up more. That is less of a problem with warmer weather, but the sun rising earlier just makes me wake up early. I will try a sleep mask, chamomile tea, and an earlier bedtime. If it is still an issue, I will try a small dose of melatonin. Thanks for the posts!

post surgical menopausal here since 2003...and no hormone pills..i feel your pain...but I do find that im not having the hot flashes as much if I get 4-8oz of water in a day.....and the over the counter estroven does work...max strength...
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Here is a article from the sleep foundation.....just for informative reading...
    http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/melatonin-and-sleep