Is my heart rate monitor wrong?

Options

Replies

• brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 too and this is all helpful because I keep thinking I just dont burn like everyone else. However, I kinda like it low...keeps me from overeating. It is like a bonus burn if it is wrong. LOL!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7. When I do cardio on a machine, it usually reads slightly lower than the machine, which I'm ok with. I figure the machines read high anyway. So if the elliptical says I burned 1020 calories in 60 minutes, and my FT7 says I burned 900, I'm ok with the 900 calories. It's close enough that when I'm doing circuit training, I know I'm getting a pretty good number for my calories burned.

I ware my chest strap right below the my pectoral muscle. Since I have some definition there, I just pull it up till it stops and leave it. I also use warm tap water. I start sweating quick enough that my owe sweat kicks in withing the first 10 minutes or less.
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    I have the FT7 too and this is all helpful because I keep thinking I just dont burn like everyone else. However, I kinda like it low...keeps me from overeating. It is like a bonus burn if it is wrong. LOL!
    Exactly!
  • pitbullmom87
    Options
    i busted my rear yesterday for an hour and it said i only burned 30 calories. that is way off!
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Same here danced my butt off and it told me I burned 17 calories but the game said it was 55 calories burnt.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I am worried it is saying I burned more than I did. I was on the treadmill this morning was walking then running then walking again... It said I burned 408 calories when the treadmill said 264. My heart rate monitor is usually 100 to 200 calories more than the treadmill. But the treadmill does not know my age, weight, etc... Just worried I am logging more calories burned than I really am.
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have had my Polar FT7 for about 2 months now. I often walk & run on my NT treadmill.
    I use water on my strap- not saturated though- I sweat pretty fast to help. I dont think I have had a strap connection problem.

Here is how my Polar has worked & I think its accurate. ( I just started working out hard in Mid Jan)
    Anyway When I got my HR monitor I beat the treadmills calorie count every time. Usually I was a bit behind in the 1st 10 minutes...Then I caught up & then Passed it by the end of my workout.

Then I started matching the TM calorie count after about 1 months of use.

Now It is very hard for me to beat the Treadmill. My HR monitor calorie count is always lower...Sometimes alot lower. I am working out just as hard...But I am in better shape then I was just 2 months ago.

I will have to kick up my workout soon so I can burn more calories-( I have bursitis on my knees right now- so have had to take it slower the past week) Id like to at least match the Treadmills count again.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Thanks Spamee! That makes a lot of sense because I am not in good shape. Well, not yet! Trying:)
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I find my Polar FT4 to be far more accurate than the MFP calorie counter (grossly over-estimates) and also more accurate than machines.

I actually *wet* the electrodes (Spit on them? For real???) I turn my sink on lightly, preferring lukewarm water (hello cold water under the boobies... buuur!) I run each spot of the strap (the electrodes) under the water back and forth 1 time each way, lightly shake off any excess, strap it around my chest, under the boobs, not too high otherwise it just doesn't feel right, then snap on the piece and I am good to go.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I find my Polar FT4 to be far more accurate than the MFP calorie counter (grossly over-estimates) and also more accurate than machines.

I actually *wet* the electrodes (Spit on them? For real???) I turn my sink on lightly, preferring lukewarm water (hello cold water under the boobies... buuur!) I run each spot of the strap (the electrodes) under the water back and forth 1 time each way, lightly shake off any excess, strap it around my chest, under the boobs, not too high otherwise it just doesn't feel right, then snap on the piece and I am good to go.

I do the same thing like the instructions say and run under water. When done I rinse it again and wipe down then hang to dry.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I haven't bought one yet. I just figure 100 calories per mile for any walking/jogging I do and I normally don't count anything for my Pilates or Yoga....
    Once I start doing more circuit stuff, I guess I will need to get one..
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    I have had my Polar FT7 for about 2 months now. I often walk & run on my NT treadmill.
    I use water on my strap- not saturated though- I sweat pretty fast to help. I dont think I have had a strap connection problem.

Here is how my Polar has worked & I think its accurate. ( I just started working out hard in Mid Jan)
    Anyway When I got my HR monitor I beat the treadmills calorie count every time. Usually I was a bit behind in the 1st 10 minutes...Then I caught up & then Passed it by the end of my workout.

Then I started matching the TM calorie count after about 1 months of use.

Now It is very hard for me to beat the Treadmill. My HR monitor calorie count is always lower...Sometimes alot lower. I am working out just as hard...But I am in better shape then I was just 2 months ago.

I will have to kick up my workout soon so I can burn more calories-( I have bursitis on my knees right now- so have had to take it slower the past week) Id like to at least match the Treadmills count again.

I've had the same experience: as my fitness level improves, I have to work harder just to burn the same number of calories. But I'm OK with that! Nothing wrong with getting stronger and more fit! :)
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    See, threads like these are what is freaking me out about buying one. $100+ is alot of money to me and I don't want to get something that may or may NOT be accurate. What is the point of getting one if we have no idea if it's working right or not. My weightloss is very slow now so I want to get a Polar so I can accurately log my calories in and out but everytime I start considering it again, I read things like this. So confused :(
  • Spamee
    Options
    See, threads like these are what is freaking me out about buying one. $100+ is alot of money to me and I don't want to get something that may or may NOT be accurate. What is the point of getting one if we have no idea if it's working right or not. My weightloss is very slow now so I want to get a Polar so I can accurately log my calories in and out but everytime I start considering it again, I read things like this. So confused :(

I think my Polar is accurate. If you read the whole thread the OP stated later that hers isnt a Polar...Maybe the brand she has is not working right. Also if you purchase your Polar from bodytronics.com...they are cheaper then most places.

I really love having my HR monitor. I use it when doing kettlebells too.
  • sw0301
    sw0301 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Return the Sportline & get a Polar! That's exactly what I just did. Sportline also wouldn't keep accurate distance. I got the Polar FT4 (bodytronics.com $60-ish!!!) & downloaded Runkeeper on my phone, now I feel very accurate for heart rate, distance & calories burned!
  • SteveHunt113
    Options
    I think you are not quit getting the point of the HRM. It will provide an estimate of calories burned. It is not 100% accurate ... it can't be if it's only using your heart rate. But, it's more accurate than, say, a website that is making a blind guess based on activity and time. It is making a guess based on your hear rate, which will go up as your body needs more oxygen to burn calories. As one gets into better shape, there body becomes more efficient so they actually burn less calories doing the same thing. Our HRM's will show a reduced caloric burn ... our hearts aren't working as hard because we don't need as much oxygen because we aren't burning as many calories. If anything, you should be encouraged by what the HRM is doing. This assumes your HRM allows you to enter your age, height and weight (as a minimum).

:)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    are you wetting the sensors before you put it on? (spit not water)....I had this problem and that was 1 problem the other was I had it up to far between my breasts.......I moved it to just to my rib cage and everything works fine now.

I have the polar FT4, and thought the cal burn was also too low. Spit not water? So you don't saturate it with water prior to working out? I will definitely try moving it down, I do keep it pretty high as well (based on that little diagram that came with it)

Ahhh this has been my problem with the FT4 also... so are you not meant to wet the whole thing?? Err... that is a massive issue - i've been doign this the whole time - and also, putting it ABOVE my rib cage... mmm thats interesting as i have had the LOWEST reads for a long time and couldn't figure it out,...

Also, how do you change the battery?
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU for all the suggestions!!!

I have been so frustrated. I have a Polar FT4 and my co-worker has a Timex. Her calorie burn is always so much higher than mine (by several hundreds of calories). I ran (actually ran/walked) for 90 minutes last week and burned about 900 calories, she burned about the same in half the time.

I thought maybe I got a lemon, but I'm going to try some adjustments first.
  • Spamee
    Options
    Besides comparing Calories to your friends HR monitor. Did you compare Avg HR, Max HR etc?
    id be curious to see what her Avg was compared to yours.

Your size vs her size matters also. My Dh & I went for a walk- both with our FT& HR monitors. he burned 50 more calories then me in the same amount of time. Although his Avg HR was less then mine...But I am smaller then him & also he is a male...

I have read that Timex over calculates calories...So even if you are burning less...if its accurate its better. (though frustrating!)
    THANK YOU for all the suggestions!!!

I have been so frustrated. I have a Polar FT4 and my co-worker has a Timex. Her calorie burn is always so much higher than mine (by several hundreds of calories). I ran (actually ran/walked) for 90 minutes last week and burned about 900 calories, she burned about the same in half the time.

I thought maybe I got a lemon, but I'm going to try some adjustments first.
  • jeanneshaw1
    Options
    I found a huge discrepancy today. My treadmill read that I burned 650 calories; my Polar HRM read 361 calories. How on earth could it be that far off? Weight is entered on the treadmill.