Can A Feminist Diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• dieselbugparrot
    Options
    I'd say there is nothing anti feminist about consciously making decisions to be healthy. Actually should be very empowering to take charge of your health to reach the amazing potential you have as an individual.

Couldn't have said it any better.
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Can a feminist make me a sandwich?

I struggle with my feminist side and my black sense of humor.. you, sir, made me laugh!

That was a cool song, why did you delete it?

This is a cool one too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvls5Y8SeEo

Did I delete it?! Oh no. Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNJaug-MIJY

And I'm diggin this Vandals song!

Here's another wonderful song about a woman!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WFpfV-fOhM
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options

Beat me to it! sonuva*****!
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'd say there is nothing anti feminist about consciously making decisions to be healthy. Actually should be very empowering to take charge of your health to reach the amazing potential you have as an individual.

I was going to say almost exactly this.
  • christina3323
    Options
    It's funny you never hear skinny women *****ingv about the men who are attracted to heavy women...if your mad about men being attacked to skinny chics then skip the "I hate men"k race and just drop some lbs. I am a fat, healthy girl and there are plenty of hot guys out there that like my milkshake...lol but skinny girls need lovin too.
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Consider this though,
    If you were to pick up some magazine that had some article labelled top 100 Bachelors/Bachelorettes, with mainly celebs of some sort, how many of the eligible women do you think would be overweight/chubby? zero most likely.

Would this be the case for the men? Probably not. I'm not saying you would see a obese man in there but you would be much more likely to see a 'bigger' man or more variety in body types for the men than the women. For women to considered a prize catch so to speak, they need to fit into a minimal selection of body types, always well groomed, look young as possible, etc. I'm not saying this is everyone's personal view, but a societal norm.

There's nothing antifeminist about wanting to be healthy or fit for yourself, but unfortunately what drives many women to 'diet' is that they want to become someone 'worth' more in society, to be considered 'desirable'. They feel that their worthiness is directly related to how close they can become to the ideal. Again, not everyone feels this way, and a lot of us here are here for our health, but going on a 'diet' is focused on losing weight above all else because you feel you're not acceptable as you are and need to lose it fast. That's why women fixate on numbers on the scale, "I have to be below 130" "I have to fit this size" "I have to look great in this kind of outfit"

Well said! I agree!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    "It's funny you never hear skinny women *****ingv about the men who are attracted to heavy women...if your mad about men being attacked to skinny chics then skip the "I hate men"k race and just drop some lbs. I am a gorgeous, healthy girl and there are plenty of hot guys out there that like my milkshake...lol but skinny girls need lovin too."

Fixed your typo!
    You're welcome.
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This should be titled "Can a Feminist Turn a Global Epidemic That Equally Affects Men and Women into a Feminist Issue?"

I mean, come on. Being healthy isn't political. It's just a personal choice. If you're not happy with yourself based on the *media's* idea of what's attractive, it's because you're impressionable and haven't yet found your independence and self-worth beyond what other people tell you.

It is great for you that you have gotten to a point in your life where you are "independent" and have "self-worth beyond what other people tell you" but this comment is a little self-righteous and unfair. People who have issues with body image aren't merely some "impressionable" or ignorant/unenlightened minority. It is not simply something in my mind that I need to overcome or only about how I view myself. It also about my real worth in society as women who are less thin and "beautiful" are treated as lesser people and this has real consequences.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I agree, though. I don't think dieting or the concept of fat has anything to do with feminism. Most people in the Western world are overweight. Male and female. Feminism has nothing to do with it. Most people could do with being healthier/thinner.

I think the entire concept of a diet is really harmful. It suggests quick fix, when the emphasis needs to be on fixing long term the weird and messed up attitude to food we have in the developed world.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i really enjoyed reading this article. thank you for sharing it.

i think the most sexy thing in the world is confidence. a woman can be any size and still be sexy, but she has to own her sexiness. the issues people have with weight have little to do with reality; basically, you're probably hanging around the wrong crowd for the wrong reasons.

the best thing anyone can do to aid their self-esteem and weight loss is to get rid of the television, magazines and mainstream movies, then think about what YOU think about yourself, not what you think other people think about you.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

LULZ
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    ^ I think that depends. You can diet to look sexy if it first and foremost makes YOU happy. We all love attention from the opposite sex, that is human nature. There's nothing wrong with it but you should always be motivated to be healthy for YOU above anything or anyone else. Everything else is just a bonus that you can take or leave and feel about as you'd like.

I think this ^ is best. I am married, older, and my husband is older. I'm doing this for me, for health, and to feel better. The mirror is the benefit. The clothes were not an issue other than I didn't want them to bind me and look really bad, but have become a bonus fun motivator. I don't need to wear a bikini anymore. I woudln't wear one in public at nearly 50, because I don't care to. I can. Now when I go and think I look good in a store mirror trying on clothes i'm happy about it. Not obcessing over if I look skinny, fat, or will people like me better in my clothes.

I'm happier. Not because skinny made me better in other people's eyes. I believe that being skinny and beautiful actually makes you less liked by others. They judge and compete with you, then. Find fault so they don't feel bad about themselves. Because I feel better in my own body and feel good inside me, thats why my weight loss feels good. It's for me.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    i was the same as you a while back, and yeah, people complimented me and my boyfriend encouraged me to keep going. i was never "skinny" but i was starving myself and working out like crazy, so no one knew there was a problem.

i agree with a lot of the things you have to say, BUT i don't think that it goes for women alone. i think it goes for BOTH men and women.

it sucks, but the stereotypes are there, but there's nothing we can do about it, except for knowing what's healthy and what's not. i think it's TERRIBLE that young girls AND GUYS look at billboards of supermodels with bones sticking out and think that they need to look like that to be "beautiful". it's horrible.

i'm not on here to look good, i could care less who finds me attractive or not. i'm on here to get healthy, so one day i can have healthy kids, and live a long, happy, and healthy life.

of course a feminist can diet. feminists can be healthy and still be a feminist, right? however, if they're dieting to look sexy like all the other girls...then i think they might need to re-think the whole feminist thing.....

I agree, society and media sets up unrealistic ideals for both men and women. Men feel pressure to be muscular, fit and tough, women feel pressure to be skinny......I think many people struggle with what they feel they should look like, but at some point you've got to accept that not EVERYONE expects their friends/spouses, etc to look that way, and either accept the way you look or do something about it.

I want to lose weight to be healthy and like what I see when I look in the mirror, and my husband supports that, but he also does not like skinny girls (not that I'll ever be skinny, nor would I want to be). Societal expectations can be a b8tch, but at some point we have to stop blaming society for all of our problems and do what's right for us and not care what other people think.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    This should be titled "Can a Feminist Turn a Global Epidemic That Equally Affects Men and Women into a Feminist Issue?"

I mean, come on. Being healthy isn't political. It's just a personal choice. If you're not happy with yourself based on the *media's* idea of what's attractive, it's because you're impressionable and haven't yet found your independence and self-worth beyond what other people tell you.

It is great for you that you have gotten to a point in your life where you are "independent" and have "self-worth beyond what other people tell you" but this comment is a little self-righteous and unfair. People who have issues with body image aren't merely some "impressionable" or ignorant/unenlightened minority. It is not simply something in my mind that I need to overcome or only about how I view myself. It also about my real worth in society as women who are less thin and "beautiful" are treated as lesser people and this has real consequences.

You should probably read my profile. I know what it is to have body image issues. I know what it is to have an ED. And I know what it is to recover.
  • reactor25
    reactor25 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a feminist and dieting is intrinsically a feminist subject. "Diet" can be defined so many different ways. I think dieting with a feminist perspective in mind is a smart and healthy decision. For me, being a feminist reminds me to constantly question all the information, images and social feedback that saturates the world around me daily. If your way of living consciously is shunning the mirror and trying to learn to eat healthy, then good luck to you on your journey. Empowering yourself and deciding how and what you want from your life, including the aspects of your diet and lifestyle, be it healthy or unhealthy, is your choice.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

THIS.
  • passwoed
    passwoed Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't think of this as dieting. Its's making better choices and portion control.
  • Viewparadise
    Options

^^^^ THIS!!! ^^^^^
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people saying that, in general, our society puts a lot of emphasis on appearance, but societal pressures concerning male body image =/= societal pressures concerning female body image. When the prevalence of eating disorders is no longer one man per every ten women, then we can have that discussion. When we're no longer being paid, on average, $.70 to every $1.00 a man makes, then we can have that discussion. I could go on. Struggling with the concept dieting, as a feminist, is a legitimate concern. There's a lot of guilt and worry over whether or not you're selling out your ideals to fit in.

To the OP, I think, if you're doing it to get healthy and doing it for yourself, then you have nothing to worry about. I think of it as a lifestyle change, not a diet, which is exactly what it is.
  • purplefancy
    Options
    The article is such long, I have no patience to read it over, but thanks anyway.