Deleting Friends?

Options
Do you guys weed people out? For what reason?

I am thinking about taking people off if they haven't logged in in a long time. I am not sure what "long" means exactly, and I would think you would eventually come back to MFP... Am I harsh for thinking about this?

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

I am thinking about taking people off if they haven't logged in in a long time. I am not sure what "long" means exactly, and I would think you would eventually come back to MFP... Am I harsh for thinking about this?

Not at all. I do it all the time.

It's hard to search through a list of 400 people when you are looking for a particular person to send dirty flirty messages to.

;)
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I don't think that you are wrong. I'm about to do a clean-out of everyone who is inactive and has been for at least 2 weeks. You aren't getting much support from people who aren't there.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do to keep it fresh. I clear out anyone that hasn't logged on for over a month unless they are a personal friend in real life. Then I keep them no matter what.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i have deleted people who haven't logged in in over a week..im sure they come back, but to me it just seems they aren't serious about this, and i need the motivation from others..please feel free to add me if you like..i log in everyday :)
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I clean out inactives.
    I want people on my friends list that are as serious
    about losing weight as I am. <3
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options

It's hard to search through a list of 400 people when you are looking for a particular person to send dirty flirty messages to.

;)
    lmao..you are terrible:wink:
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder about this too. I don't delete anyone, even if they're being a rude/mean to me at times, if they constant'y do it then yeah. sometimes, no, i usually set them straight. I don't like people who just log on in their phone, enter their calories, exercise, and never post, but whatever,they're my friend's, they might come around some day.
  • FTIM2015
    FTIM2015 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I do it on a pretty regular basis. People who don't post/ communicate, the periodic posters off over a week are the usual suspects for me!
  • cabul3
    cabul3 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i always go through my facebook friends 2-3x/yr and delete a bunch til i'm under the 100 mark. there's no way i can keep in touch with 100+ people -- even when i know all of them!

i'm new enough to MFP that i'm still accepting friendship adds, but i'm sure that in a month or two, when i learn who i actually converse with, i'll delete people off my friends list too!
  • love2coachvolleyball
    Options
    Deleting inactive people makes sense to me. I do it to facebook friends every so often. If they aren't on here they aren't going to miss you...
    And if they are on here but you don't feel connected to them don't feel guilty. Do what you need to do in order to take care of yourself!
  • LemonSocks
    LemonSocks Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I only have about 20 friends on my list so I don't delete people. But I probably should delete the two inactive people, and I don't see any reason why you would feel bad about it. If they haven't come back after a month I doubt they'll ever be back again.
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder about this too. I don't delete anyone, even if they're being a rude/mean to me at times, if they constant'y do it then yeah. sometimes, no, i usually set them straight. I don't like people who just log on in their phone, enter their calories, exercise, and never post, but whatever,they're my friend's, they might come around some day.
    IF YOU DELETE ME PORT....BE SCARED, BE VERY SCARED
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options

;)
    [/quote]

I agree. hahaha

**my quote thing got all messed up. I don't know why.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i just deleted all my friend yesterday actually. I don't really find it effective for me. It actually made me very upset 80% of the time because I tend to take things the wrong way especially when I don't actually know the character of the people or understand them since I only know them from this website. I realized I am on here for ME, and I think it is better if I just keep my daily life private, but I still like writing on the message boards =] !
  • kellymarie619
    Options
    I'm pretty much the same as everyone here. I delete people when I notice that their level of commitment has dropped and they stop logging in. I need support daily and that is what I believe my friends are for. If they aren't there for support then I don't need them.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I go through my list fairly regularly. I like to keep a small group and try to support them all if possible. I may not get to them each and every day but I do offer support as I'm able.

I delete ones that are inactive but I also will delete those that offer no support. I don't understand the ones that send a friend request and then never comment? Maybe I'm weird but the occasional "wtg" and "good job" comments actually spur me on!
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I clean out my list if people havent been on in a while or if they havent interacted much.
    im on here to get support and to be motivated and to motivate others. if you dont come online then i can do any of that!!!
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    You delete people who are inactive for a week? Harsh. I don't have an iPhone/smartphone, so when I go on vacation I don't log in. When I am in my hometown caring for a sick relative I don't log in. During finals I don't log in. Doesn't mean I don't care about my mfp friends or my own weight loss (though admittedly I still struggle with clean eating sometimes). But clearly I am in the minority. A woman I have known for five years on another board dumped me during spring finals this year--guess I wasn't hardcore enough for her! It cracked me up. I will delete people if I have no idea why they friended me in the first place (PSA: send messages with your friend requests PLEASE! Just say what post made you want to be friends with the person!!) and we aren't really clicking, but I think it would suck to have a personal crisis or just fall off the wagon for a week or two and come back to find you have no friends.

ETA: friends aren't just there to support YOU. They are wanting your support as well ... and that's hard to give if you defriend someone after a week of not logging in.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do. I weed out those who don;t share their diary with friends and if it's been months and they haven''t logged in. I try to interact with my friends so if that doesn't happen I remove. So far I've managed to get really nice friends, but my main purpose in being here is to encourage and focus on proper eating habits. If there is no interaction they get cut.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that is kind of what I was thinking, valerie. I would probably wait more than a week, but I guess it comes down to not knowing.

I think case-by-case would be best-- if you talk to someone a lot or you happened to see they were posting about a leave of absence (a few of my friends have done this), you know to cut them slack.

People who are logging in infrequently, never comment, no open diary... Axed. ;)