question on lotion & suntan bed use

I just started doing the tanning salon thing today and they asked me about lotion?? Is lotion needed? please advise me as I never used a tan bed before, thanks

Replies

• ginabina13
    ginabina13 Posts: 202 Member
    Lotion is definitely needed...you need to keep you skin hydrated and it also helps you get the most out of tanning. Many on the lotions on the market today have anti-aging components and other ingredients that are beneficial to the skin.
  • Definitely use a lotion. It helps keep your tan longer and moisturize your skin so you don't peel.
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    so how do I put the lotion on the hard to reach places? do people usually go there in buddy groups or something?
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    I stopped doing the tanning booth thing years ago. It's very dangerous and I won't put myself at risk anymore.

I don't recommend it with or without lotion.

(I never used a lotion when I did it.)

I agree. I got skin cancer on the bottom of my foot. The only time it was exposed was a tanning bed. I've also had it on the back of my lower calf which is traditionally an unusual place. I've never been one to lay in the sun outside.

If you're going to do it be very careful and definitely use lotion.
  • so how do I put the lotion on the hard to reach places? do people usually go there in buddy groups or something?

put it on as best as you can. it's a struggle sometimes but maybe you will become more flexible! lol good luck
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Go sunless!!!! I'm super white. When I need some color I go to the tanning salon - for a spray tan. Stay away from Mystic Tan (so I've been told), but Versa Spa is very, very good. I've had it done twice and both times turned out fantastic! Lasts about a week and fades like a real tan!

There's hope for us blindingly white folks after all! :D
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Oh my days!!! I can not believe people are using sun tan booths!!! There are so many self tanning products..immediate reuslts or take 12 hours. DO NOT use machines....sorry for the caps but, they sun tant machines are a roade to nowhere. Why burn when you can just use a mousse, spray or instant tan????
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    I work in skin care and you'd be surprised how harmful tanning is... (As you can see, I rock my pale! :) ). If you want to be tan try a spray on tan or a gradual sunless tanning lotion. They are SO much better for you!
  • As to your question about hard to reach places, some tanning websites sell little brushes you can put some lotion on and use it to reach places you wouldnt be able to alone

I love love love love tanning, but it is true. It can be harmful, and it can make you age quicker. Make sure you dont burn (the lotion will help with that) and don't go more than 3 or 4 times a week.

Enjoy your new beautifully bronzed bod!
  • rob_base
    I stopped doing the tanning booth thing years ago. It's very dangerous and I won't put myself at risk anymore.

I don't recommend it with or without lotion.

(I never used a lotion when I did it.)

I agree. I got skin cancer on the bottom of my foot. The only time it was exposed was a tanning bed. I've also had it on the back of my lower calf which is traditionally an unusual place. I've never been one to lay in the sun outside.

If you're going to do it be very careful and definitely use lotion.

I am not sure how to do the quote thing on here (new to the site), however----to the above--than do you never go out in the sun? I figure a little sun / tanning bed in the summer is a good thing (not too bad? I don't plan to do it in winter)...I mean I am pretty pale

also as to the spray tan- doesn't it look fake? wash off weird or anything?

as to the lotion I guess I will have to work on my flexibility (lol)

thanks all for the info so far
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    My friend almost died from skin cancer because of tanning bed use. If you really MUST be tan, use the spray tan. Is being a little tan worth your life?
  • rob_base
    another dumb question- is it Ok to do it naked? I rolled up my underwear when I did it on Saturday
  • i think everyone knows tanning is bad, but hey smoking is just as bad....I do tan so ill give you some tips...

yes do tan naked that way you wont have tan lines of your underwear or boxers

always always were a lotion..for guys I would say HDMANN is a great lotion.....you dont wanna get a girly lotion and smell like u just took a shower in flowers and candy.. :)

only go twice a week...once in low level and 1 day in high..to keep up ur tan

also i do what is called a COCKTAIL tan...you will probaby love these cause everyone does,,you go tanning in anybed you would like, than go in VERSA spray tanning machine...the tanning before opens up your pores so you will have a nice looking tan :) that last longer :)

good luck and dont over tan.....no more than 7-12mins and not everyday once, you start seeing color you will get addicted :/ so be careful..you will want to go everyday..and if you miss 2 days you will think ur as white as a ghost but your not...:heart:
  • rob_base
    thanks for the info, i hate being a tanning bed virgin lol
  • :) no problem if you have any question go head and ask me :)
  • rob_base
    Sophiya- I just want to amke sure I am not crazy, don't you think I am too white / pale in my photo?
  • mmmm...I think you look natural :) but if you wanna define your muscles more a little color to your skin would be good :) is that the only picture you have??
  • rob_base
    Thanks, yes that is the only picture I have right now, still sorting out all the working fo this website
  • Please don't use a tanning bed. I used to go for a couple of years in college, but then one of my best friends got skin cancer -- she was only 22. Thankfully, she's survived and is cancer free, but it's just not worth the risk. That said, I too love a glow (especially in the summertime!) so I suggest looking into salons in your area that do airbrush tans (with actual people -- I think the booth spray-tans [like Mystic and VersaSpa] are crap) or, if you wish to do it yourself, Glow Fusion and St. Tropez are EXCELLENT at home self-tanners. You can purchase them online or at Sephora. (And I agree with the above post -- your skin already looks excellent so you really don't even need it!!):smile:
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    I'm gonna stick to getting my skin cancer the old fashioned way. :wink: