Bleeding Nipples

Options
I've has chaffed nipples from running before but today was the first time the have full on bled. Not a pleasant experience, they still hurt. What do you guys use? Any horror stories? I've been bumping up my distance so I suppose it's time to start stocking up on band aids.

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've has chaffed nipples from running before but today was the first time the have full on bled. Not a pleasant experience, they still hurt. What do you guys use? Any horror stories? I've been bumping up my distance so I suppose it's time to start stocking up on band aids.

Not a guy, but I know alot of males distance runners. Nip guards are apparently like the greatest thing invented for guys! They have them in all the running stores.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have guy friends that use the small bandaids or the breath-rite strips (yes, the ones for your nose at nite). Hope this helps. :)
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Vaseline or a running specific product called something-glide? You can get it at running shops apparently?
    No horror stories here thank goodness.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    There's this great stuff that breastfeeding moms with sore nipples use. It's called Lansinoh. You can find it at most drug stores around where I live. I've heard some women runners say it works great for treating "runner's nipple".
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    BODY GLIDE is a male's best friend...
  • JHunter75
    JHunter75 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Aquaphor (ointment). It does the trick without being a spendy sport-specific brand. (BTW: I originally got the recommendation form a web post by Chris Carmichael of CTS.) I use it for longer bike rides and runs. Apply it the issue-area and you should be golden. Hopefully you find this of some use. Good luck!
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My husband uses both nip guards and Nexcare round bandaids. If you use the bandaids put them on at least a half hour before you run so they can adhere so as not to fall off. Runner reviews are good on them and they are cheaper than the nip guards.
  • ajcooper
    ajcooper Posts: 15
    Options
    Just stick a band aid over each nipple (north to south, lengthways!). Cheap solution, and served me well during a half marathon yesterday. The days I've forgotten to put them on I've paid for it!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide (not to be confused with AstroGlide... a totally different use)
    Nips
    Nexcare round dot bandaids
    UnPetroleum Jelly
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    BODY GLIDE is a male's best friend...

this.

Works very well for nips and any other area that might chafe due to friction from exercise.
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are training for the marathon, and when we hit 12mi he started having the same problem.
    I dug up some "Lansinoh" breastfeeding ointment - made from Lanolin , and it does the trick.
    Works like a charm for inner thigh chafing too!
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I would definitely check out Lansinoh. You can get it in the baby section at places like walmart. It is 7.00 a bottle but last forever. I have one tube I used for breastfeeding for both of my girls, who are now 2 and 3 and I just started using it for when I run.
  • DallasEl
    DallasEl Posts: 54
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations. Going to pick something up before my next distance run. Nipples are still smarting. Ouch.