sorta concerned for my health...

Options
hello eveyone reading this,
i just have a quick question, i have been eating over 1200 calories each day and exercising everyday but not exactly eating my calories i burned back. i am losing a little bit of weight which is what i want but im not sure if this is a "healthy" way of doing so. please give me your input. thanks in advance!! hope you all have a great day! ( :

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    as long as your getting 1200 net cals you should be fine...but ask your dr and see what him/her says....could just be a phone call.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I find I lose more - and faster - when I eat back at least most of my calories. You body may not be getting enough fuel (depending on how active you are apart from added exercise) and it wont be as fuel efficient.

MFP set me at 1800 or so calories to start - I manually adjusted to 1500 and I eat back a lot of exercise calories
    I find it can be difficult especially sicne a lot of healthy foods are low in calorie to start off with. I used to wonder how I was going to stay under but now I have to find ways of eating more calories (healthily)
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I typically try to eat some of my exercise calories back but not all of them. I think you are doing just fine. Some people say you have to eat all the exercise calories back but I don't think that is the case with everyone. As long as you are not starving and you feel good I would continue to do what you are doing. You are getting 1200+ so you are good but like the other person said it does not hurt to ask your Dr.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Eat back most of your exercise calories.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    have you noticed when you add your exercise into your diary that all your levels of protein, calcium, and carbs change? Make sure they are not to low, you dont want to become weak and end up sick and not able to workout. If you are burning more than 200 calories a day you should try to eat some back.
  • bshadow98
    bshadow98 Posts: 1
    Options
    As long as you net AT LEAST that much you should be okay. If you are not, your body may go into a survival/shock mode and store fat to prevent starvation. Your body needs energy to run, just be sure that caloric intake is healthy and you are eating the right foods. (having a big mac and then running for 6 hours defeats the purpose as you still have the saturated fats and such) Eating Protien will also increase your metabolic rate and your body actually burns calories when it is breaking down protien. Hope this helps.

Jason
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    With so few pounds to lose, you should probably aim for more than 1200 calories a day. Make sure you're only set to lose a half pound a week, and eat back what you burn through exercise. Higher weekly losses are for people with a lot more to lose. :smile:

You want to make sure what you're losing is body fat, not your lean muscle mass. The more you eat, especially protein, and the slower you lose, the more of the weight you lose is going to be from fat.
  • jea1668
    jea1668 Posts: 32
    Options
    Make sure your NET calories arent that low, if youre burning a ton of calories in one day you need to make sure you eat a bunch of them back! you dont need to eat them all, but if MFP starts you at needing 1200cals/day that means the site has already given you a deficit to work with doing 'daily' movement etc, so if you didnt workout and ate 1200/day youd still lose some, but with you working out a bunch it means you need to up how much you eat, i dont think you want your NET calories to be much below 1200, thats pretty much the lowest your body can function well internally as far as I have been told and learned in nutrition/A&P classes, why dont at your physical talk to your doctor or ask to talk to a nutritionist? hope it works out :)