Strength Training/Weight Lifting (upper body) = No calorie c

Options
I lift machine and free weights for 1 hour at the gym 3x a week, covering the entire upper body. The MFP database for "Strength Training" though credits this for zero calories. Is this because the cardio burn is rather immaterial and purposely ignored? Or should I manually add in somehow (say 100 calories credit)?
Thanks a lot if any ideas~

Replies

• kerri007
    kerri007 Posts: 123
    Options
    i just add my weight training into the cardio
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    go to the cardio part and search lifting. yesterday i lifted for about an hour and i got around 140 calories I believe? i don't remember, but you should find it in there =] !
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Yes, enter it in the cardio. There is a lot in the search, but you can add your own too. I never understood the strength section breakaway.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yes, enter it in the cardio. There is a lot in the search, but you can add your own too. I never understood the strength section breakaway.

I think it's mostly to just track strength progress.
  • onceathief
    onceathief Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The strength section is to keep track of the weight/sets/reps you're lifting. This way you can check your gains in strength periodically and see if you're gaining, staying the same or losing strength.
  • adamcf
    adamcf Posts: 126
    Options
    calories burned during weight lifting is very relative. The database doesn't give a credit for those calories because it differs so much for each person. The best way to determine calories burned in any circumstances is to use a heart rate monitor. There is a formula to determine calories burned by heart rate, age, height, weight. I don't know exactly what it is, but it is easily found somewhere online.
  • keith863
    keith863 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everybody~ and woo-hoo~ I can eat another 100+ calories :)
    Good luck to all~!