Anyone Have Advice For A Beginner + Workouts?

Options
I'm a true novice at weight loss workouts, so I'm looking for some pointers. I'm just beginning my weight loss journey and am enthusiastic enough to jump right in. In fact, I'm tempted to order and join in on OneBryteSmile's Insanity Challenge: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/291622-insanity-challenge-starting-8-1 I've also been seeing lots of enthusiasm on P90X. However, not having done any workouts other than the occasional 30 minutes on a stationery bike, perhaps these are too advanced to start with? Anyone have opinions?

From reading these forums, I'm also gathering it's good to do some cardio/interval as well as weight training. I've got a gym membership, but am unsure of where to start. Is there some solid beginner's workout that everyone recommends, or should is it best to spend the extra money and sign up for some personal training?

Sorry my questions are so general. I understand there may be no "right answers", just people relaying what worked for them. However, there's obviously a lot of success here and I'd like to learn from you all on how to begin.

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Try the elliptical for 10 minutes, then the stair stepper for 10 minutes, then the rower for !0 minutes. I used to love just running on the elliptical for 40 min straight, but now i get so bored. you can also sign up for a class at the gym or maybe use the pool, if they have one. there is no right place to start, just get moving, get your heart rate up, and you'll be fine!
  • readingboy
    readingboy Posts: 24
    Options
    bump (since I posted it in the evening for most people).
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you have a gym membership I'd try out some classes.

The set time and activity should give you a goal and keep you motivated, the other people around you will give yuo encouragement and you can do the moves at a level that suits you current fitness.

I find Les Mills classes especially good.

Less challenging - Body Vive, Body Balance, Body Jam
    Average challenge - Body Jam, Body Step
    More challenging - Body Combat, Body Attack
  • beccafreak
    beccafreak Posts: 45
    Options
    I would advise working up to the Insanity and P90x workouts. Those are killer I have heard and for a beginner, I'd just workup to them by trying other workouts first. Have you tried any of Jillian Michael's? Her 30 Day Shred is awesome for beginners and works you right up to the level where you should be for P90x. Plus they are cheaper and easier to do, lol.
  • readingboy
    readingboy Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I might go with beccafreak's idea of the 30 DS working up to P90x.

Though jellybaby's idea is good, the morning classes my gym offers look really intense, so I may switch to evenings (which is far less convenient). No Les Mills classes anywhere on the schedule. They have cycling classes in the evening which look okay, but all their morning classes look really intense. If I can't motivate myself to do the evening ones (I'm always tired after work), I might find another gym.

How do I get myself addicted to working out? Anyone have other opinions for a novice?