Question for bike riders

Options
I just recently started riding bike some just to add in something different. We live on a country road (is blacktop though which is good cause I wouldn't ride on gravel). Has quite a few good hills. Is 10 miles in an hour a decent speed/ride? Also, any advice on a seat that isn't going to KILL me? The one that came on the bike is terrible and I am so sore after riding I can't ride again for a few days. Any advice appreciated!

Deb

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    your butt will adjust over time. so don't throw out the saddle with one ride ;)

also, 10mp is a good, leisurely pace. you're doing just fine.
  • fishbrain976
    fishbrain976 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    that is decent enough, Don't out do yourself

increase the distance when you are getting the hang of it. try to find hills to come... it is very rewarding.

Look for WTB seats, they are very comfortable, but expensive, about US80 to USD150 for one.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike shop and get fitted for a seat. Best thing you'll ever do!!

I ride at an average speed of 8mph - I don't go flatout hard but it's definitely a workout. 10mph is pretty good for an amateur.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    you should be able to replace the seat, maybe try a bike shop?
  • fishbrain976
    Options
    and yes, it will takes awhile for your bum to get use to it... wear padded pants, help a little
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    No matter what seat you have if you are new to riding it will take a bit to get use to it. Don't loose heart, your bottom will adjust. I mountain bike, hard, and it took me awhile to be talked into using the seat that came on my bike, it has NO padding at all, but after the second ride on it I was hooked. Won't go back to to a padded seat ever again. Just give yourself time to adjust to it.
    Also, 10mph is fine to start, but it is leisurely. Of course the harder you push yourself, the more benefit you get, just like with any exercise.
    Good luck, hope you enjoy riding as much as I do. I can't wait to get my hands on a good roadbike!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    First, Congrats on your huge loss. That is fantastic. Good pace on your bike depends on the bike type, weight of the bike, your fitness level, and your goals on the bike. I have a Trek road bike that only weighs about 18 pounds, and i ride very aggressively, so 10 miles an hour for me would be horribly slow. My average ride speed is between 16-20 mph, and a trained hard all winter to be able to post those numbers. Ten mph may be a great speed for you right now, i wouldn't know. As far as the seat goes, a good bike shop can size a seat for you based on your riding style, and sized to hit on your sit bones. Additionally, invest in a quality pair of bike shorts. They have a padded seat that can help with the soreness. I love my Pearl Izumi's!
  • fishbrain976
    Options
    pearl izumi's are hardcore! thin as a paper... nice
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Deb, You should go to your local bike shop and get a seat that fits your hip bones.
    Speed is relative, it depends on the bike type (road, tri, MB), your fitness level, your cadence, the road etc. The more you ride, the faster you'll become.
    Check out the mfp cycling club thread. There's loads of info in there.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Mmm... Hills...
    First, as mentioned by MiloBloom83, congrats on the pounds lost. What a great job!
    Second, riding hills on a bike can be a monster workout, regardless of speed. I wouldn't worry so much about your speed, and focus instead on your effort. Are those 10MPH pretty easy? Or are you ready curl up and die when you're done?
    Third, a few people mentioned how relative speed is. Your bike, your route, your fitness level, your weather, they can all affect your speed. If you're happy with your ride, who cares how fast your went.
    Fourth, getting comfortable on a bike seat takes time, and some effort on your part. A pair of dedicated bike shorts helps a lot, as does some kind of lubrication like Chamois Buttr or even Body Glide. If feels icky going on the first few times, but it has saved me from great pain. Like Mammawarrior, I have a rock hard saddle and as crazy as it sounds, that feels better than my old padded saddle. But it took a few weeks to get used to.

Don't lose heart, biking is one of those workouts that I found terribly intimidating till I got used to it. Now I LOVE it! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

I hopes this helps.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Go to your local bike shop and get fitted for a seat. Best thing you'll ever do!!

This. They'll measure your "sit bones". These should support all your weight and be the only thing that hurts after a ride. If other "things" hurt, your seat doesn't fit you.

And then yeah, it'll take a while for your bum to get used to it then eventually even your sit bones won't hurt.
  • katjohn83
    katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Deb, You should go to your local bike shop and get a seat that fits your hip bones.
    Speed is relative, it depends on the bike type (road, tri, MB), your fitness level, your cadence, the road etc. The more you ride, the faster you'll become.
    Check out the mfp cycling club thread. There's loads of info in there.

Where would one find the cycling club thread?
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info! I do already love to ride. I plan on getting a better bike at some point...I'm using my 15 year old grandsons now while he's gone for the summer. I did that just to see if I even remembered how to ride:laugh: He's coming back in a couple of weeks so I will need to get one before then. Pretty much just my "sit" bones hurt so I will try to tough it out a bit longer to see how it goes. My feet hurt when I walk a lot so I am just trading one "pain" for another:smile:

Dinos...thanks for mentioning the cycling club. I went on and read some things and will do more as I have time.

Appreciate the help from all of you!

Deb
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I do a 20 mile track most days, plenty of hills and mud - my average speed is 17mph
    I should probably slow it down a wee bit but I just can't help myself
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    10 Miles an hour average is considered leisurely riding. It's fine for just starting out. Fair warning: I started out biking about 3 miles five years ago. I thought I was really something when I rode 10 miles. I was riding my kids' bike. A few months later bought my own bike ( a Huffy, which tells you how little I knew) and started biking to do my errands. I wore it out in 3 months. I swore I would never wear the goofy clothes (see profile pic) Five years, 3 bikes, hundreds of miles and thousands of dollars later...I'm hooked! My bike ( my beloved Trek) lives inside my house and I would rather bike than drive my car (and usually do).
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Your butt will adjust to the pain :)
  • georgiajuly
    georgiajuly Posts: 126
    Options
    Where would one find the cycling club thread?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/266681-mfp-cycling-club
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I would consider 10 mph good, that's better than the bikers I pass. Try getting a cruiser seat. I have one and love it!