when running...

Options

Replies

• elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    During the first part of my run I think about myself, how far I'm going to run that day, at what speed, what my goal for that day is going to be, and why I'm doing this.

Then I get bored of myself and start observing the people that are running/walking/cycling around me. This involves wondering how long it took them to get to where they are, why they are running, etc. It may also involve the occasional "OHHHH I wanna run/look like her!" or "Wow he's hot, let me run after him for a bit."

Then I get bored of that and put on my music and just sing the lyrics in my head. Occasionally I'll sing them out loud too, if I'm not too out of breath. If the song is right, this part occasionally involves some intense head bobbing and trying to dance while I run. In other words, there's nothing in my head except the music.

Somewhere after that point I get a bit tired so I start motivating and thinking about myself again.

Then I'll start looking at the other people again, those that are really going all out, so that I can be motivated and keep going.

Then I'll go back to the music.

And the cycle goes on and on.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Well, I usually run on the balcony of my gym which overlooks the basketball courts. Thus, I usually focus on the guys playing basketball or just remind myself that once I am done running I will feel better and be happy that I worked out. Just jammin' to my music is what stops my mind from wandering otherwise.
    And I run behind her watching the view.

Yea, I'm a little pervy.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think about just about everything... usually about upcoming races! But also think about work, things I have to do, etc. Try to avoid thinking about all my aches and pains! LOL
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    "Surely I'm at the 3 mile mark by now." *looks at phone* "Only 2.2? Wtf?!!?"
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thats why I hate running, I can't seem to turn off my brain. I keep thinking about how much running sucks, because it isn't challenging enough to take thinking out of it.

So I think about every breath, every step, every muscle.

Running sucks.

If it's not challenging it enough, you're not doing hard enough workouts...
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    about how i'm a beast bhahaha, but honestly.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I love to ruminate about what I need to do today or what I did yesterday...but I also spend some good time in my prayer...
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Sex. And chocolate. Not necessarily in that order.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    At first it's my form. Once I get warmed up and the sweat is rolling, I just get into the music and how my body feels.

100% agree with this poster.
  • KayyB13
    KayyB13 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thats why I hate running, I can't seem to turn off my brain. I keep thinking about how much running sucks, because it isn't challenging enough to take thinking out of it.

Running sucks.

Hahah definitely agree, especially on a treadmill. I have to put my towel over the time, because I swear the seconds seem like forever on that machine!

But on the flip side, it makes me forget about all the other stuff/stress happening in my life, since all I can focus on is running. Just keep telling myself, just a little further, you can do this! Then I imagine myself running in a sports bra one day for a little extra push of motivation hahah :)
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options
    I"m a dork, but a book junkie, I listen to audio books and loose myself in the story. It works for me, and I don't mind being a dork :)
  • lisapickering
    Options
    what do you think about?

its an odd question but i have always been curious about what other runner think about on their runs.

i am a day dreamer for sure. i think about the day i can run in a sports bra and shorts without a care or worry, running with a boyfriend again (lol) and where i will be running a year from now, being as a year from now i will not be living where i currently am.

so the question:

when you run what do you think about?

I'm with ya! I totally daydream... it's hilarious the stuff I come up with too... but it makes me run so I don't care... it's just between me and my head anyway! I too visualize myself wearing a sports bra and shorts to run (something I've never done). I love running because I could have the worst day and I go out and run and it all seems to go away... until I'm done the run anyway. It puts me in a better mood.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Well, I usually run on the balcony of my gym which overlooks the basketball courts. Thus, I usually focus on the guys playing basketball or just remind myself that once I am done running I will feel better and be happy that I worked out. Just jammin' to my music is what stops my mind from wandering otherwise.
    And I run behind her watching the view.

Yea, I'm a little pervy.

And since I know you are watching.. I run a little faster. haha
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I think about my day and my husband who is overseas. I have a running partner too so I do a lot of talking. Sometimes I think about my pace and breathing. I wrote my wedding vows in my head while running. I also replay conversations in my head...haha I'm weird!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Depends, when I am just getting started I think about the actual running, finding my rhythm.

When it's hard or I'm going up hill I normally repeat a little mantra over and over again to myself. I have a list of them depending on what "kind" of hard it is. And it helps me keep pushing through

When I get my runners high on I think wooooooooohoooooooooooooo joyful joyful

And then all the in between times I think about my job, my boyfriend, my travel plans, my music.

I also just started listening to audiobooks when I run, sounds weird but for a long steady run listening to a story is great!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Running sucks.

This.

This is how I feel when I am road running. However, since I took up trail running, things are different. Trail running keeps you focused and engaged. Trying not to trip and fall (or get attacked by an animal or fall off a cliff, or get lost) is a serious way to keep you "in the moment". Because trail running generally means going longer distances, your mind does wander but it's not such a grind like road running. I ran a 50K ultra marathon yesterday in the blistering heat. Believe me, there was still plenty of time during that 8:41 run to feel the misery of the miles and heat but it would have been intolerable on the road!!
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I"m a dork, but a book junkie, I listen to audio books and loose myself in the story. It works for me, and I don't mind being a dork :)

A ha! I am not so weird after all!
  • hstallings13
    hstallings13 Posts: 306
    Options

A ha! I am not so weird after all!

YES, I AM NOT ALONE :) I love my audiobooks :)
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    During speedwork, I think about getting through each quarter mile, because the paces sometimes feel crazy.

During my regular runs, I just think about my day.

During my long runs, I'm usually pace-leading my group. My mind is on our pace, how the group is doing, and whatever everyone is talking about around me.

When I run during the week, I sometimes run with my husband. Then, I'm either trying to keep up with him and/or talking to him.
  • madworld711
    Options
    this is such a great question! when i run i most often think of the past and how far i have come. i reminisce.