• mamastuck
    mamastuck Posts: 131
    Options
    simple yet effective lol

quinoa, dry berrys and a hint of organic agave wow yummy
  • sdolbey
    sdolbey Posts: 2
    Options
    Try your fav taboulih recipe, but use Quinoa instead of Bulgar- Way more tasty and far more nutritious!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It's a great filler in meatloaf instead of bread, and an awesome grain in home made soups in place of other starches. I tend to use it as a rice substitute.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have quinoa what is the nutritional value of it? Is it high in carbs? BUMP
  • kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    I have quinoa what is the nutritional value of it? Is it high in carbs? BUMP

Mine says - (brand is Bob's Red Mill from Costco):

For a 1/4 Cup DRY (1 Cup Dry = 4 Cups Cooked)
    Cals - 170
    Sod - 2 mg
    Carbs - 30g
    Fiber - 3g
    Protein - 7g
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I just had some for the first time yesterday... FYI, don't have it just plain. Tastes like moist bits of nothingness...

Here is a recipe from my friend Sandi. I might try it tonight or I like the sound of mixing it with some pesto

1 c uncooked quinoa
    1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
    1 red pepper
    1 yellow pepper
    3 T fresh cilantro (parsley)
    2 scallions
    2 T rice vinegar
    1 T sesame oil
    salt, pepper to taste
    for chicken breast marinade:
    1 T sesame oil
    2 T teriyaki sauce

combine quinoa with 2c water.
    cook for 10 minutes

marinade chicken strips in sesame oil and teriyaki sauce.
    grill till perfection.

chop peppers, cilantro and scallions. toss with rice vinegar, sesame oil and salt/pepper to taste.

add to quinoa.

serve warm or room temp
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I made stuffed pepper with it the other night on the bbq....i just mixed the quinoa with black beans and peach mango salsa then bbqd :) you could use any other combo you like though
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I just had some for the first time yesterday... FYI, don't have it just plain. Tastes like moist bits of nothingness...

Here is a recipe from my friend Sandi. I might try it tonight or I like the sound of mixing it with some pesto

1 c uncooked quinoa
    1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
    1 red pepper
    1 yellow pepper
    3 T fresh cilantro (parsley)
    2 scallions
    2 T rice vinegar
    1 T sesame oil
    salt, pepper to taste
    for chicken breast marinade:
    1 T sesame oil
    2 T teriyaki sauce

combine quinoa with 2c water.
    cook for 10 minutes

marinade chicken strips in sesame oil and teriyaki sauce.
    grill till perfection.

chop peppers, cilantro and scallions. toss with rice vinegar, sesame oil and salt/pepper to taste.

add to quinoa.

serve warm or room temp

this sounds great:)
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    Never tried it but am going to now!
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I like to do grilled cherry tomatoes, basil and reduced fat feta. Tastes naughty but it's not!!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I like to do grilled cherry tomatoes, basil and reduced fat feta. Tastes naughty but it's not!!

yumm! this one sounds awesome
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FlipThis112
    FlipThis112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Quinoa. Quinoa stuffed peppers are amazing (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896), and SO filling. Also, quinoa is great on top of a salad instead on chicken or fish. Cook two cups quinoa, mix with one can of black beans, cilantro, reduced balsamic vinegar and season with salt and pepper. It makes a lot of quinoa, so is good for several meals, keeps really well and is delicious warm or cold.
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options
    you can buy quinoa flakes- i like flakes quinoa with almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla protein powder.
  • utaviator
    utaviator Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I took the leap and tried quinoa this weekend. I made a ragu with fresh garlic, onion and eggplant. Added diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and a splash of cognac. (I didn't have any red wine in the house, or I would have used that.) Added salt, pepper, italian herbs from the garden, and the cooked quinoa. Even the grandkids loved it!
  • travelerkate
    travelerkate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free, and have found quinoa to be an awesome replacement of how I used to eat pasta:

1st I sautee veggies (eggplant, squash, zucchini, onion, tomatoes, potatoes, garlicc, peppers, olive oil)
    then add the quinoa, and cook it for a few minutes
    then cover with water and boil until the quinoa absorbs it all (like rice)

DELISH
  • BeeMarieG
    BeeMarieG Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    These look great! I can't wait to try some of them.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Another one we're doing tonight... veggies going to go bad if we don't eat them.

Boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces, sautee'd with mushrooms, onions, and garlic... throw in some fresh green beans and diced tomatoes. Turn off heat, add some feta and stir to coat everything with cheesy goodness.

Serve over/in/around quinoa cooked with low sodium chicken broth.
  • KnottyRae
    Options
    All I have to say right now is...DROOL! Now I want quinoa...

Quinoa Noodles + Butternut Squash Sauce = heaven in my mouth. My three year old even loves it! I found the pasta sauce at TJ Maxx and it's gluten free...don't remember the brand though. :(