BEST EXERCISE FOR THE STOMACH?? HELP!

Options
What's the best exercise to tighten your tummy? I do a lot of cardio and running and biking but I feel like it's not targeting my stomach enough. I do my zumba and crunches but what else can help?

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    What's the best exercise to tighten your tummy? I do a lot of cardio and running and biking but I feel like it's not targeting my stomach enough. I do my zumba and crunches but what else can help?

Squats, weighted squats, weighted lunges...anything that works your quads. These muscles are the largest group in your body. They WILL burn more bodyfat than the majority of the rest of your body combined. Also, try out interval cardio...and do some strength training! Your body WILL shed more body fat that way, via producing hormones that build muscle, and shed fat.

If you simply mean core strength, or you are already low in bodyfat (which is looks like!), and want more definition, planks, hanging leg raises, crunches....the typical are best.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    diet is the answer. your muscles just need to be uncovered. You can't spot reduce (unfortunately). All the crunches in the world won't reveal your abs if they are under a layer of fat.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    I have started pilates, and man! Can I feel it in my abs! It is a wonderful, painful feeling right now!!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you wont see results without lowering body fat percent. so diet and exercise ;P
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    diet is the answer. your muscles just need to be uncovered. You can't spot reduce (unfortunately). All the crunches in the world won't reveal your abs if they are under a layer of fat.

This as well...I was assuming from her picture she was already somewhat slim...and that a healthy diet was a given.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Pilates is amazing for your abs, thighs, and butt. If you use proper form, you will start to see results in a week. It is not high impact, but the fact that you are contracting your abs the whole time you work out really does the trick. You will learn to contract your abs all the time, so even when you're not working out, you'll still be working your tummy.
  • Skaren
    Skaren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ditto for yoga
  • lauranova
    lauranova Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • sheffiej34
    sheffiej34 Posts: 91
    Options
    I agree with chrisanderson. Hanging leg crunches or abdominal lifts/twists and the reverse bicycle maneuver ( back/arms flat on floor and lower half raised straight up to "ride" are supposed to be the best of all the ab workouts.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

This as well...I was assuming from her picture she was already somewhat slim...and that a healthy diet was a given.

I agree with you. I wasn't exactly sure what she meant. your first response pretty much covered it all I think.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Pilates is amazing for your abs, thighs, and butt. If you use proper form, you will start to see results in a week. It is not high impact, but the fact that you are contracting your abs the whole time you work out really does the trick. You will learn to contract your abs all the time, so even when you're not working out, you'll still be working your tummy.
    :heart:
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Clean diet and exercise. Makes sure to add weight training to your routine. Do not do abs more that 3 times a week giving them recovery time between workouts just like any other muscle group. Good luck!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

Yup. Best exercise, for me, has been my running program (ie, cardio). All kinds of situps and crunches has never done a dang thing for me!!