OUCH!

Options
My husband and I walked in the Caleb5k here in Austin this weekend and now we have terrible "soreness/pain" running from the top of our foot halfway up our shin.... OUCH what is this? :grumble:

Replies

• webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shinsplints, maybe. Search the forums; I think you'll discover you're not alone. Sorry about that!
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    it's called shinsplint. probably your stride was a bit too long. rest and ice is what makes it better. next time you walk in something that long, consciously shorten your stride but increase your cadence (the amount of times your feet hit the ground in a minute). you'll walk just as fast and you might not get the shinsplints. i used to get them before i figured out that long, purposeful strides just don't cut it when exercising. lol and good on you for walking a 5K! well done.
  • mcdell
    mcdell Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses, I really appreciate the input and advice:)
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    Need to work up to longer distances. I did that to myself last year and it was AWFUL. The bad thing was, it didn't bother me while we were walking. It hit a day or two later and was pure dreadful! Ice, Ibuprophen and relaxing helps them.
  • Skaren
    Skaren Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You can also warn up your shin muscles (tibialis anterior) by tapping you toes. Make it a big movement with the whole foot. Make sure you start with small strides and give yourself 20 minutes to work up to your cruising speed.

Hope that helps,

K
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would agree it sounds like shin splints. Hope this article helps http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-290-291-529-0,00.html