The AGE you look based on your WEIGHT?

Options
i_love_vinegar
i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
I have a question for those who have either lost or gained weight, or became more fit/toned:

Has the age people have guessed you at changed with your weight?

I often hear that "being thinner makes people look younger," but just as often hear, "being overweight makes people look younger."

Also hear, "being thinner makes people look older," and "being overweight makes people look older." :laugh:

I was wondering how this has worked for YOU. Thank you! :wink:

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell.. but I know that I am more wrinkly now I don't have that extra fat to plump up my face!
    And my ears stick out and my chin is strange and pointy.
    Can you tell that I'm not quite used to my new face?
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My nose has shrunk with weight loss.
    I don't know if that makes me look any different in age,
    but it makes me like my face better. [:
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Hard to say... depends on the person, I suppose. Sometimes overweight gives people the "baby face" that makes them appear younger. Sometimes thin people have more wrinkles making them appear older (this is especially true for those that used to be overweight and are now thin). I'd say it comes down to the individual and their characteristics as a whole.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have been told on numerous occasions that now that I am thin, I look younger.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    Hard to tell.. but I know that I am more wrinkly now I don't have that extra fat to plump up my face!
    And my ears stick out and my chin is strange and pointy.
    Can you tell that I'm not quite used to my new face?

Judging by your pic, I think you look lovely. I would diiiieeee for a pointy chin by the way! Congratulations :tongue:
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've heard younger...cause I know when I was 80 pounds+ everyone thought I looked older than my age :indifferent:
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Since I've started losing weight, I've been told that I'm starting to look younger.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    im 34 and ive been told i look 26 instead of 28 now that ive lost that last 20 pounds. guess its in the eye of the beholder.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    My nose has shrunk with weight loss.
    I don't know if that makes me look any different in age,
    but it makes me like my face better. [:

OMG I hope my nose gets smaller too. I didn't even think of that possibility! =D
  • Latoyamary
    Latoyamary Posts: 140
    Options
    With the weight on, I look way younger than I do with the weight off, especially with my glasses on. Everyone thinks I am about 22. People thought I was much older when I was smaller...
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think I look younger. I'm working my way back from a typical overweight middle aged male that I was to more of a slim teenage/college body. Can't do much about my baldness, though. Them's the breaks!

Regardless of all that, I definitely feel younger, and to me that's what really counts.

Bp
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has uncovered the years of trolling hiding underneath...so therefore I look like a youthful hole of the *kitten*.
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm lucky - most people guess my age at 7-10 years younger (or more). So far that hasn't changed. Profile pic was shortly after the 50th bday.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I've heard younger...cause I know when I was 80 pounds+ everyone thought I looked older than my age :indifferent:

Uh Oh! That's my goal. >_< I'm 1/2 a foot shorter than you though...Let's hope I don't age reaching my goal. :laugh: You look fantastic in your pic though!
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I think I look younger. I'm working my way back from a typical overweight middle aged male that I was to more of a slim teenage/college body. Can't do much about my baldness, though. Them's the breaks!

Regardless of all that, I definitely feel younger, and to me that's what really counts.

Bp

Very well put! :bigsmile:
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    I find that obese twenty-somethings look much older than the thinner members of their cohort. But I usually think underweight people of the same age range look younger--like they've barely hit puberty. When it comes to, say, forty-somethings, I think underweight can actually age a person--they need to look a little more filled out. Again, I think overweight ages them.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I sometimes show my HS students my before picture at 260 pounds. They swear that I was at least in my 40s there, but I was only 24. Now they think I look like I'm in my 20s, and I am 30. :smile:
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've always looked older than my age. I've always been overweight. Unfortunately as i lose weight i'm getting lines which means i'll look even older as i slim down. I hate it. I see the lines and it makes me want to eat chocolate. My big fear is i'll end up looking like my 71 y/o mil when i'm done. Then that makes me wonder why i'm doing it.
  • i_love_vinegar
    Options
    I've always looked older than my age. I've always been overweight. Unfortunately as i lose weight i'm getting lines which means i'll look even older as i slim down. I hate it. I see the lines and it makes me want to eat chocolate. My big fear is i'll end up looking like my 71 y/o mil when i'm done. Then that makes me wonder why i'm doing it.

Hi! I had always been guessed around 5-10 years older than my age until these past few months (my pics arent updated yet though) when people have guessed me to be around 5-8 years younger than my age! I have wrinkles around my eyes from rubbing them for years...so don't feel discouraged! :smile:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i look old fat i look old skinny i hope with no sun no cigs and a lot of exercise i look okay at fifty
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!