Kitchen knife block set recommendation

Options
h3h8m3
h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
Anyone have a recommendation for a decent quality but reasonably cheap kitchen knife set? Ours is getting pretty jankity. Ours is the kind that can't be sharpened...

Replies

• aethompson5507
    aethompson5507 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    well i could sell you the best quality knife block set, but it wouldnt be cheap. pampered chef has amazing forged cutlery. ...i always just tell people if theres something like that that you want, might as well have a show and get it half priced or even for free! ...let me know if your interested :)
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a set, I'd pick specific knives that you will need. America' Test Kitchen does reviews of specific types of knives and would help you pick the best for your buck and help you know when it would be best to splurge. Even on other pieces of equipment as well.

America's Test Kitchen is a TV show on PBS.
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I got a Quisinart set from Kohls last year for Christmas. Has a lot of different knives, there is one for every task.

Here is my set

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/cutlery/cahb19n.html
  • Heddysue
    Heddysue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Loves me some cutco knives, but they're massively expensive!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have Shun knives and they are AMAZING but they are very expensive. My husband got mine on closeout at William Sonoma for less than half price because they were phasing out the line. The new lines are the same quality but different handles and that type of thing.

You really do only need a few good knives though and can save yourself some money if you just buy a few. My most used knives are my chef knife, a utility knife (smaller pairing style) and my serrated bread knife (I bake all my bread so I need this one but you may not.)

It's all dependent on what you need and how much you can spend. Check craigslist too because I've seen some Shun's and Wusthoff's on there from time to time. Just be sure to check the blade and look for nicks. Shun will sharpen your knives for free for the life of the knife but you do have to mail it to them. Honing them is easy too but you do need to use their steel as Shuns are angled differently than other knives and the steel is set up to hone them correctly. If you do buy a Shun (or other high end knife) from a retailer ask them to show you the correct way to hone them.

Whatever you get don't put them in the dishwasher! Hand wash only even if they say they're dishwasher safe. Your knife (or pots!) will last longer and look better. A good quality knife is totally worth it! Once you use a good one with excellent balance and edge you won't be able to stand cheap ones though.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy a set, I'd pick specific knives that you will need. America' Test Kitchen does reviews of specific types of knives and would help you pick the best for your buck and help you know when it would be best to splurge. Even on other pieces of equipment as well.

America's Test Kitchen is a TV show on PBS.
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/

I totally agree! I went to Culinary School..I cook constantly and I'll just say that the majority of the knives in the block set you'll never use. Get yourself one really good quality chef's knife. That'll do most things for you, and if needed a paring knife and maybe a serrated slicing knife. Anything else is optional depending on how much you cook and how detailed the task :)
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Cutco knives are the absolute best... but expensive... check Costco or Sam's Club for a set..

L.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I forge my own kitchen knives, and take custom orders on occasion from others.

Here's a picture of the one I use daily in my kitchen:

DSCF3340-1.jpg

It's just a simple 7" blade utility knife, but its razor sharp, differentially hardened (a harder, yet tougher edge than any stainless), holds its edge forever, and overall has zero maintenance other than keeping it clean. I didn't put scales on mine, because I wanted to be able to change the edge geometry if I didn't like it...but it's worked out beautifully. I do wood scales or micarta (a resin material). It balances wonderfully in your palm, and rockes off the edge of the cutting board nicely.

Anyhow, not that this is an option (read: NOT cheap)...but it's something to consider for the future. There's a lot of custom knife makers out there that would be happy to do a whole set for a nice price.

Cris