Shoes or Bare Feet?

Options
I know there are a lot of fans of "barefoot" running (with those Vibram thingies) BUT...I was wondering how many of you do HIIT or circuit training at home, with videos, without shoes?

I've been doing JM's Ripped in 30, and my ankles have been creaky. So, do you choose to shoe, or not to shoe? What are the reasons/benefits/etc. of your choosing to do so?

Thanks, my MFPs :heart:

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I wear shoes when I do the 30DS, because otherwise the jumping jacks will kill me.

I do NOT wear shoes when I do zumba at home.

I guess it depends on the activity, and personal preference.

Personally, I hate shoes, and wish I could do everything without them.
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes, but that's because I do martial arts, which is all barefoot, so I'm very accustomed to explosive movements on bare feet. I also get my first pair of Vibrams tomorrow (they're waiting for me at the post office), and I'm excited to see if I can slowly transition to running "barefoot".

I have a long history of knee problems that seem to have disappeared since I started doing a lot of barefoot exercise, so for me, personally, I prefer barefoot. That being said, everyone's feet are different. :smile:
  • mescla
    mescla Posts: 56
    Options
    Hmm,

This is my problem too. I just posted this. I do Zumba in socks, but the HIITs i do, Tabata or plyos are killing my soles of my feet. I have cross trainers but i need to do something with inner soles i guess.. any suggestions
  • sesefeeney
    sesefeeney Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i'm the biggest shoe fan when it comes to exercise. i've had knee problems and lower back problems since i was a kid but when i decided to start losing weight, i felt i could do exercise dvds at home barefoot, very quickly my knee problems came back and i had endless blisters, carpet burn etc. plus it also makes the skin on the back of your feet callus and ugly. i invested in good nike trainers and have never looked back. they honestly do absorb shock especially from my lower back area and with all the jumping i do(tracy anderson dance cardio 45mins and just started running on the roads outside) it's got to be so worth it. not even sure how this barefoot religion came about but then again everyone is different
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    Just a note, as a runner, I am reading "Born to Run" and highly recommend it if you are a runner or are at all interested in running. I have literally laughed out loud at points in the book because I can totally relate to it. Sooooo inspiring!! Anyways, what I have been doing, to build strength in my feet and alleviate some foot pain caused by weak muscles in my feet, is to wear water shoes (yes, the ugly $8 aqua socks you find in the sandal section of walmart) for very short (5K, compared to my marathon training, long runs) runs. I am easing into this very slowly because it is totally new muscles I am training and this can also lead to stress fractures if not taken very conservatively. I still run most of my runs in my Brooks runners but I throw in a short jaunt in the water shoes once a week (on a day I am tired or don't have time for a longer run). I don't think I will convert to full on barefoot running but I am using this as a compliment to my other training to become a more balanced runner. I already have noticed a difference in my foot pain (less, not more) and my legs are all tingly after a short run because I am using completely different muscles with the new footstrike than I am used to using in my runners. This is a much more affordable way to test the waters in the minimalist running world than dropping who knows how much on the vibrams only to find they don't work for you. This is the approach I am taking and am having positive results so far (about 3 weeks into the transition). Love to know what others think and if anyone else has any tips on minimalist or barefoot running.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I know there are a lot of fans of "barefoot" running (with those Vibram thingies) BUT...I was wondering how many of you do HIIT or circuit training at home, with videos, without shoes?

I've been doing JM's Ripped in 30, and my ankles have been creaky. So, do you choose to shoe, or not to shoe? What are the reasons/benefits/etc. of your choosing to do so?

I do not wear shoes at home. I find when I don't wear shoes i get a better calf workout and I am also lighter on my feet. I do Leslie Sansone, Biggest Loser, Jillian Michaels... no shoes.
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    If I can get away with it (i.e.indoors where no-one disapproves) I go without shoes. Shoes make my feet hurt at the best of times.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    A great range of responses-- thank you!

As always, MFP, you come through. :heart:
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Just a note, as a runner, I am reading "Born to Run" and highly recommend it if you are a runner or are at all interested in running. I have literally laughed out loud at points in the book because I can totally relate to it. Sooooo inspiring!! Anyways, what I have been doing, to build strength in my feet and alleviate some foot pain caused by weak muscles in my feet, is to wear water shoes (yes, the ugly $8 aqua socks you find in the sandal section of walmart) for very short (5K, compared to my marathon training, long runs) runs. I am easing into this very slowly because it is totally new muscles I am training and this can also lead to stress fractures if not taken very conservatively. I still run most of my runs in my Brooks runners but I throw in a short jaunt in the water shoes once a week (on a day I am tired or don't have time for a longer run). I don't think I will convert to full on barefoot running but I am using this as a compliment to my other training to become a more balanced runner. I already have noticed a difference in my foot pain (less, not more) and my legs are all tingly after a short run because I am using completely different muscles with the new footstrike than I am used to using in my runners. This is a much more affordable way to test the waters in the minimalist running world than dropping who knows how much on the vibrams only to find they don't work for you. This is the approach I am taking and am having positive results so far (about 3 weeks into the transition). Love to know what others think and if anyone else has any tips on minimalist or barefoot running.

Fila makes a pair of Toes shoes that are around $40.00. I am considering trying out a pair once I lose a little more weight. My shins and knees always end up hurting me after a run, so I am wondering if changing my running style might help with that.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options

I do not wear shoes at home. I find when I don't wear shoes i get a better calf workout and I am also lighter on my feet. I do Leslie Sansone, Biggest Loser, Jillian Michaels... no shoes.

Ditto. I only wear shoes when I'm walking outside or running errands. At work, I only put on my shoes when I need to leave my desk. Otherwise, I'm wearing socks.

I also find exercise, especially cardio, far less cumbersome barefoot. My ankles have actually gotten stronger since I started exercising barefoot. And a good foot care routine eliminates any roughness.
  • YellowStrawberry
    YellowStrawberry Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am all for bare feet at home. Although I do Zumba at home on tile and 30 day shred on carpet some times. On my elliptical, I have to wear crocks, only because it hurts to be barefoot on it. My feet never feel right in shoes and if I can I wear crocks, cause they feel like I am barefoot.

I think whatever you are comfortable in is what is best. I have tried shoes in the house, and it bugs the crap out of me when I do it!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hi Cheshire, i do the 30 day shred in bare feet but got bored silly with it, and decided to do my own core,strength and abs training from Jillian's videos without the need to do jumping jacks every 30 seconds as i do a LOT of cardio ..all in my bare feet :-)
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I always do bare foot, I honestly would trip over my own feet in shoes.
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I wear shoes when I run on the treadmill, but other than that, with doing kickboxing and Insanity, its more comfortable barefoot than with shoes! Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I do the 30DS barefoot. I don't wear shoes indoors at all.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've been doing all my workouts, including the 30 DS, barefoot. I did it for a few weeks, and learned how to land on my feet to avoid the dreaded shin splints that have been the bane of my existence - then I started C25K barefoot, and I love it. I can't imagine working out in shoes now, although I used to all the time, and if I went to a gym, I guess I'd have to.

I'm the hugest fan of working out barefoot!!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wow, affirmations! Thanks to all!

I did RI30 today with shoes on for the first time, and I think that I have better balance without them. Most of all exercise I've ever done has been barefoot (martial arts, yoga), so shoes are a new thing to me. I started "running" (jogging, really) recently and got a nice pair of shoes for that, but I don't want to wear them down with something that I should really wear cross-trainers for.

Seems like no one has experienced real damage, and barefoot is a safe way to stay. When I buy my own treadmill (and have the room for it!) I'll probably try the barefoot running. Thanks again! :heart: