Can anyone help me do push ups?

Givemewings
Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
I have never been able to do a full push up. I can do box push ups fine, but I want to be able to do full push ups. I have strong legs but poor arm strength. I feel it is holding me back. Anyone have any tips to help me get stronger?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I really don't know if this is a good idea or not..... but on the weekend I did a new workout from an app on my phone that included pushups. I'm so weak at pushups, I can barely even do them from my knees.
    I happened to be in a park that had a knee high bench so I did my pushups with my feet on the ground and my hands on the bench. I felt as though I was getting much better form and doing something closer to a "real" pushup than I can ever do on the ground. So, I'm planning to get going this way and as I get stronger arms, progress to doing them on the ground.
    Oh and my arms are sore, so I was clearly using those muscles!
  • AndrewTub
    AndrewTub Posts: 86 Member
    I would start doing them at an angle first, so put your feet on the floor and your hands on a chair or kitchen worktop or something. That should be easier and then as you get better you get you can decrease the angle more and more til you're on the floor !
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Try doing incline pushups

Taken from MDA's primal blueprint fitness
    primalblueprint.com and marksdailyapple.com

Stand a few feet away from a secure, hipheight object, like a table or a desk, and grab the object shoulder width apart with straight arms. Keeping your torso straight as a board, lower yourself until your chest touches the object, wait a second, then push yourself back up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA6J7TVYDq8
  • Lorna1976
    Lorna1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Do press ups from your knees, make sure you keep your body nice and straight. Once you are able to do this, try and full press up.

Maybe try 2 full press ups then 8 half press ups and gradually increase.
  • Renay1961
    Renay1961 Posts: 3
    I do my push up from the wall, standing at an angle, I feel it's just as good as doing them from the floor...
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    hundredpushups.com
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Try throwing a few bench dips in to increase your tricep strength. Stand with your back to a chair/bench, lean against the bench with your hands palms back and creep your legs out until you're supporting your weight on your arms and not your legs. Then lower your body while bending at the elbows to take your weight and push back up.

Sorry, that's not the best description but if you google 'Bench Dips', you should be able to find better info showing what I'm trying to say. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.