3rd shift job

Options
I didn't think third shift would change my eating habits so much but it has. Somenights I can eat at work some I can't.
Somenights I eat before work
I seem to only be able to sleep in 4 hr shifts no matter vhow hard I try so I usually eat between naps

Somedays I eat one meal in a 24hr period, sometimes I eat as many as 4. Does anyone here work third shift and have tips on keeping a schedule. Its been two months and I have not been able to keep one down.

Replies

• themurph8910
    themurph8910 Posts: 124
    Options
    I am right there with you. Its hard to figure out how to eat on this shift. Like I am at work right now. I just had a snack and get to eat again at 530. But i will more than likely skip it so I can eat with my Husband before we go out today. I try to eat my lunch at work at 530 am which means i take a break at 130 am and have a light snack. Then I eat another snack around 8 am. Then its off to bed and most days I sleep until 5 or 6 then get up and cook dinner for me and my Husband. I know I should eat during the day but its hard since I need to sleep. Its takin about 3 years to get to a point where i feel like I eat almost enough. I still think I should snack more during the day. I seem to be rambling but I hope this helps.
  • 1_up
    1_up Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I bring the food I want to eat with me in a cooler when I work 3rd shift (I work swing shifts that change every week).

I try to keep things as "normal" as possible. I made bacon earlier in the day and I just heat it up in a microwave at work and I brought some hardboiled eggs, since I didn't feel like making scrambled eggs in the morning after my shift. My snacks usually consist of cherry tomatoes, almonds, pepperjack cheese stick and greek yogurt. That pretty much takes care of "breakfast".

I usually split my sleep up into a 4 hour nap when I get home at 7am in the morning and a 2 hour nap before I go to work at 11pm. When I wake up I eat lunch (sandwich, tuna, eggsalad w/e) and I usually eat dinner (grilled chicken breast 12-16 oz with a cup broccoli) around 5-6pm.

When I work this shift, I just try to make everything as easy as possible, since I'm already dealing with the inconvenience of having my sleep shuffled around etc., so I stick with the diet.
  • Soon2BMrsRamos
    Options
    I would love to know that answer! I am night shift RN working 3 7p-7a shifts a week. I usually eat right before I go to work as "lunch." Then "dinner" is at 330am, then breakfast is normal when I get home. With a 100 calorie snack pack in between each meal. I am lucky to eat breakfast though. Usually I just go home and go to bed. Looking for quick and easy recipes to cook when I get up at 5 before I have to be at work at 7.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast when I get home from work. 7am
    I go to sleep and get up and eat lunch. 5pm
    Start work at 7pm
    Eat my third meal at 10pm.
    Eat my fourth meal at 2am.

I usually work out before work or after work and sometimes before and after.

It works for me. Good luck.
  • adamswife01
    adamswife01 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    my problem is I work two night shifts and then have two days off and work 3 morning shift, so I am all screwed up. I cant get a schedule together.