Protien on rest days?

Options
T0M0
T0M0 Posts: 250 Member
Hi all,

Should i be taking my protein shake / bars on rest days when i don't do any form of exercise?. I regularly take my supplement before and after workouts but not sure if taking them on rest days will be over doing it?.

Whats your thoughts?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I would only do it If you have the numbers in your goals and don't want to eat your protein.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If you regularly do both on your workout days, I'd say just take one or the other instead of both on 'off' days. I haven't heard of protein being a problem if you're taking too much, but I'd just cut back if your muscles don't need it.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I would only do after a workout AND have no easy access to protein after that. Protein from whole food still your best bet for healthier lifestyle. On a rest day, much better to eat real food, don't you think so? It's just me.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Personally I take supplements on recovery days because that's exactly what your body is doing: recovering. Especially if you are doing a lot of intense training the rest of the time.

Suggest protein + carbs, not just protein.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You should be eating your calorie intake depending on your goals EVERY day, not just your workout days.

That includes protein, carbs, and fats. Also take your multivitamin on off days to get your micronutrients for overall health.
  • breunor
    breunor Posts: 12
    Options
    Remember that your body doesn't build muscle during the workout, it only receives teh reason to build during the workout. Your muscle gains are mostly as you sleep and from day to day. Maintain your protein intake each day, regardless of the workout.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Remember that your body doesn't build muscle during the workout, it only receives teh reason to build during the workout. Your muscle gains are mostly as you sleep and from day to day. Maintain your protein intake each day, regardless of the workout.

^^ This..