Exercising with Fibromyalgia and Osteoarthritis

trulyblessedby3
trulyblessedby3 Posts: 3 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all, wanted to ask if anyone here on MFP has any suggestions or helpful tips on exercising with Fibromyalgia and or Osteoarthritis in both knees. Oh and btw I do not know how to swim and am fearful of depths above 5 feet of water....lol!

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    My mom has fibromyalgia and COPD, so she has a hard time finding good exercise routines that she can actually do. But she found some workout DVDs that are all exercises you do from a kitchen chair, and she loves it. She said it's fun and isn't too hard on her knees and hips, but it's definitely a good workout, and I can tell she's in better shape now than when she started it. I think the ones she likes are called "Chair-a-cise," but there are lots of others you can find if you Google "chair exercise DVD." Good luck! Hope that helps!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    I have Fibro and arthritis in many places. And, I'm old :laugh: I suggest walking and then walking faster and harder. The more you do the easier it will get.

I also use an eliiptical which doesn't bother my knees at all.

The important thing is to do something. Movement will help arthritis.Just keep it low impact.

Many of the exercise dvd's can be used, just modify the exercises to suit your problems. Sweatin to the Oldies is still good in my book.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    one of my friends has it in her muscles and she says that pilates has helped her a lot
  • countingitall
    countingitall Posts: 59 Member
    I have osteo also. Walking and stationary bike are best for me. and yes there are days I can not do this. I have upped my excersise alot and boy am I hurting. Hopng my body will ajust
  • jennahiggins
    jennahiggins Posts: 56 Member
    I have fibromyalgia. I work out and probably push myself harder than those without it. It hurt so bad for the first week or two. But after that, I have felt great. I haven't went in the past week (was on vacation) and I can feel it. It's the first morning that I woke up and felt like I wanted to curl back up with the blanket over my head and cry.

Start slow. You can walk, and do strength training. Avoid the work outs that hurt to bad. Yoga and Stretching is great. Leslie Sansone makes a wonderful walking DVD that you can do at home. Swimming really does help with your joints, but you have to find a water aerobics class around you (they don't put you in to deep of water and if they know you are scared they will put you waist deep) Talk to you doctor and make sure it's okay for you to exercise, he/she will be able to tell you what you can and can't do.

You will find that changing your eating habits will also change the fibro flare ups, even my fibro fog hasn't been as bad as it used to be. I still have my days, but it seems that the more active you are the less it hurts. I am not saying it will take the pain away, because I have yet to be completely pain free....but it is more manageable. I have been off all meds for 11 weeks (today starts my 12th week). You also will learn what pain you can work through and what is best helped by stopping a certain exercise.
This discussion has been closed.