Best 'takeaway' diet food

Options
illusio
illusio Posts: 12 Member
With the vast majority of takeaway food being fat or sugar-laden, I was really surprised to find one of my favourite chinese dishes, steamed dim sum dumplings, is EXTREMELY low fat/calorie (avg 35 cals per steamed dumpling, 9 plus some spicy crackers make a fab meal for 400 cals). Having spoken to a couple of other dieters, they too were unaware and now converted, so I thought I'd:
- tell you good people, so if you're in the need for quick and tasty takeout food, you have an option other than 'dressing-free salad'!
- ask you to share what other take-out low cal/fat surprises you've found, so we can all benefit.

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    The Chinese restaurant near my house will make me some szechuan chicken without the oil. So a pint of it has like 300 calories, and 7g of fat and 170mg of sodium. YAY!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I really don't like heavy sauces, so I order steamed chicken and broccoli, but I have them add fresh scallions and ginger. Its very high flavor, high fiber, high protein and low fat and only like 300 calories as well.
  • PhoenyxRising
    PhoenyxRising Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm strange but I still stand by the Southwest chicken salad at Mickey D's... I either use my own fat free dressing or use half a packet of theirs and it still ends up well under 400 calories. Not to mention its actually YUMMY. That and a good slice of cheese pizza (make sure its not too greasy or else I lay a napkin over the top for a bit).
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I save those type meals for my "cheat meal" and I don't worry about the calories etc for that meal.. We do it about twice a month. The reason being, all the places we go are buffets (my 6 year old is autistic and flips out if he has to wait for food) so its easier and almost impossible to track calories at buffets.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to have a nice takeaway place nearby but the fish and chip shops are rubbish and the chinese is just eeuurgh. I never knew food could be greasy and dry at the same time!:tongue:
  • suzyshep
    suzyshep Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks, I have been looking for a good take away option and I totally forgot about those and we love them! I bet summer rolls are a good option too.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Our local chinese does a lovely steamed tofu dish with soy and spring onions in it, very plain and fresh tasting and very healthy. I love it and also the steamed dim sum
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i like to have the supermarket or weight watchers pre packed versions as lots of those are only around 3-400 cals a pack and you know exactly how much you are getting of everything. also, did you know that 'chinese salt' is just another name for MSG? i only discovered this a few weeks ago. :-( otherwise steamed veg and rice noodles with a dash of soy sauce works well, or go for a prawn version of something, usually moderately low cals. :-)
  • hotpot83
    hotpot83 Posts: 88
    Options
    So far I havent had a takeaway, first day of week 4 for me :) However, I thought about this and if I want a takeaway I think Ill get a chicken kebab... they grill the chicken and its with salad in a pitta bread... that cant be too crazily bad as long as I dont have salad dressings or mayo from the takeaway- I could always add extra light mayo at home.

Managed to resist so far!
  • RosannaElizabethL
    RosannaElizabethL Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try the vegetarian or vegan options - a lot of the fat we consume comes from animal products. Vegan options are usually packed with veggies and all the good stuff. Try to avoid fried rice dishes which have more calories than they seem. Also, spring rolls are easy to make at home and are fun to make with kids. Homemade versions usually contain less calories than their more processed, takeaway counterparts. Good luck!