exercise break?

neela31
neela31 Posts: 180 Member
edited September 29 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone ever take them for 5 or more days either on purpose or because you didn't have a choice. I'm in the "husband is out of town" boat and it's hard to fit it in with working full time and a little one. A little one who doesn't like to sleep!!

Anyways, what do you focus on when you aren't exercising? Do you find you gain weight during the week?

Thanks!

Replies

• Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    good question....
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Maybe the little one who doesn't like to sleep would like to go for a walk/run?
    Run around playing tag?
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    I think a break is necessary when you are training hard. I seem to notice the biggest change in my body after extended breaks. I also weight train though, so rest is when my muscles develop. During breaks from exercise your diet has to be near perfect. If you pay close attention to what you're eating and stay within your calorie goals, you shouldnt gain any weight.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Do what you can. Take a walk, or dance around the living room with the kiddo, whatever. Keep moving. Get some hand weights (or a couple of bottles of water) and do some curls. Do pushups. You don't have to do a lot all at once to keep yourself in shape. Just bust out 10 pushups while you're waiting for the pasta water to boil, some situps while the kiddo is in the bath, a few squats while you fold laundry -- it won't be as much as you're used to doing, but it will hold you over until you can get back into your regular routine.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    As long as you stay within your calorie limit, you should be okay. OR you could put the little one in a stroller and at least walk if you that's an option. :smile;
  • I agree with a couple of comments that maybe should find a easy activity for you and your child can do together so not vegging in front of the tv. Sure your little one would appreciate some time with mommy!! :)
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    This thursday-sunday I was unable to workout...I just make sure I am REALLY focused on my diet.
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    I randomly get those breaks due to my work schedule (or life mixing it up on me in general)...If I know I can't exercise, I focus more on what I eat.

If you typically are exercising 5 days a week (and pushing when you do), My personal experience has been that I usually slim down slightly (assuming you keep your diet consistent). I do find myself looking for small ways to add something that feels like exercises (tricept dips from the kitchen counter, pushup before jumping into the shower...ect.)
  • It happens on occasion. Just be extra careful to stay within your calorie count and you wont gain any weight. Exercise is not necessary for losing weight but it does help the process along and tones your body.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Last week I got to the gym once. I had to work on my garden and my work schedule was all over the place. But between all the stuff I had to get done and all of the running around I was doing I still managed to lose 2.1 pounds last week.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Not sure how old the little one is but you could help him/her sleep by wearing out all that energy. Go for a speed walk (baby in stroller) or walk to the park (or run) and PLAY!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I try NOT to take a break from exercise on purpose because for me that tends to lead to more breaks and more breaks until I realize that it's been months and I've gained 20 lbs. But I have taken breaks from my usual exercise routine during travel vacations. I try to get right back into it the first day back though, for the reason stated above. And YES, I do gain weight during the break because I don't eat any less and often eat (and drink) more on vacation.
  • I hear ya but you have to take time for what's important to you. My husband is a firefighter that works 24 hour shifts and sometimes is away for 3 days straight. I am also a 5th grade teacher and a mom of 3 (5, 3, 2). When my hubby is working I will do my workouts when I put the kids to bed. It's late but it's important to get the workouts in. I always thought about getting up early and working out and then getting ready...but I'm just not a morning person! Taking 5 days off probably won't be horrible but there is certainly time that you can make for yourself. I always felt so much better when I got my workout done, especially if it had been a long, hard day. Maybe you can go for a walk or turn some music on and dance. My kids love it when I dance with them and it's a great workout for everyone! :)
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    It is necessary to take a week break every 8-10 weeks for your body to recover especially if you work out hard. When you get back to it, it shocks your body and increases your weight loss.
    I just did it and have made great gains every time I do it.
  • aristel
    aristel Posts: 110
    I try to eat sensibly, focusing on 1200 calories daily and the rest of the nutrients balanced and yes, sometimes I take breaks from exercise for 1 week or a little more time.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Nope. I'd take the little one with me on a walk, stay in and hit that Windsor Pilates like it's going out of style (ok, so it is out of style LOL), jog in place, do something. Don't take a break. You'll never want to go back.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Thanks everyone! My body can use a little bit of rest right now. I'm exhausted!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    I try for 5 days but have a set dead line of 3 days weekends I just do a short walk then as weekend are vety busy more so when on nightshift doing 12 hours so need to sleep then
  • wrgawife
    wrgawife Posts: 61 Member
    Dance to he music or you can YOUTUBE some exercise moves if you don't have a exercise video and do while kids are sleep.
This discussion has been closed.