Unsure about calories...

Options
Ok so it says I should be having 1200 calories a day. But, do I have to have that much? Surely I would lose weight quicker if I was having less than that? Plus, I don't really eat breakfast. When I've tried to diet before, I've been stupidly drastic and had like one can of soup a day and I did kind of lose weight but I felt really groggy all the time andf I couldnt keep it up, So now, can I not just eat healthy food but keep under the 1200?

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is already very low, so I'd suggest making sure you eat AT LEAST that. The more you exercise, the more calories you "can" eat.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Generally, no. The reason MFP won't give you a daily goal of less than 1200 cals is because it's typically unhealthy to deprive your body that much. That being said, it depends on your size and how much less you're talking about going. Like, if you're a really petite person, say around 5' and you're thinking maybe going to down to 1100 a day, then it probably won't hurt. Also, being under 1200 on occasion will probably not hurt you either. But if you're down below 1000 everyday, you could hurt your metabolism as well as not feel very good. You also might not lose weight as effectively.

What I'm saying is, 1200 is a good general rule if you're of average size, but by no means is it some magic number that works for everyone. Just try to keep in mind that weight loss isn't something you want to go into expecting results yesterday. It's a lifestyle thing that you want to be able to maintain for the rest of your life, so there is no rush to get skinny overnight.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and 117 lbs and I can tell you 1200 calories is not enough. I feel like I'm barely eating to not pass out lol
    Generally, no. The reason MFP won't give you a daily goal of less than 1200 cals is because it's typically unhealthy to deprive your body that much. That being said, it depends on your size and how much less you're talking about going. Like, if you're a really petite person, say around 5' and you're thinking maybe going to down to 1100 a day, then it probably won't hurt. Also, being under 1200 on occasion will probably not hurt you either. But if you're down below 1000 everyday, you could hurt your metabolism as well as not feel very good. You also might not lose weight as effectively.

What I'm saying is, 1200 is a good general rule if you're of average size, but by no means is it some magic number that works for everyone. Just try to keep in mind that weight loss isn't something you want to go into expecting results yesterday. It's a lifestyle thing that you want to be able to maintain for the rest of your life, so there is no rush to get skinny overnight.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    do not drastically cut calories- your body needs fuel. also, if you starve your body, it will go into 'starvation mode', you metabolism will slow and it will store ALL the fat it can. do not do it.
    also- DO NOT SKIP BREAKFAST- most important meal of the day- if you're not used to eating breakfast, drink a breakfast shake but I highly recommend a healthy breakfast - it sets the 'mood' for the day and you won't be starving at lunch time. eat many small meals/snacks instead of a few big ones. The food journal tracks your calories for you.
    my advice is to stick to the 1200 calories, I lost 2 lbs this week doing this. slow but steady weight loss from a healthier lifestyle is my goal. I feel great - never hungry but lighter and generally better about myself.
  • pocojackie
    Options
    I just find it really hard to stomach food first thing in the morning, and if I do eat anything, its normally toast but I need to cut out bread because it makes me so bloated. I used to have quite bad IBS and the nurse told me I shouldn't be eating wheat but I love bread! By breakfast shake, do you mean like a fruit smoothie? I could do that
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and 117 lbs and I can tell you 1200 calories is not enough. I feel like I'm barely eating to not pass out lol

That could be WHAT you're eating... if you're eating 'empty calories' to fill up those 1,200 calories, then you would feel lightheaded and ready to pass out. Drinking more water is essential when you're dieting and exercising as well. I'm on 1,200 and about 5'1... and I don't feel bad or like I've not eaten enough pretty much ever. But I also eat many of my calories in carb form so I have the energy to exercise and get through my day. Not sure how you're doing it or if my method would work for you, just saying... you also may need to break your meals up into smaller snacks.

1,200 is the lowest you should go safely. My regular metabolic rate is 1,450 per day, and as I'm dieting, I've dropped to 1,200. Once I get to my goal weight, I will go back up to 1,400 (if I feel like it) in order to maintain. Try the 1,200 for a while and if you're not liking it... exercise a little more and see what it does. Make sure you're eating good calories for your 1,200 though... not just calories to fill up the number.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I just find it really hard to stomach food first thing in the morning, and if I do eat anything, its normally toast but I need to cut out bread because it makes me so bloated. I used to have quite bad IBS and the nurse told me I shouldn't be eating wheat but I love bread! By breakfast shake, do you mean like a fruit smoothie? I could do that

Breakfast is essential when dieting. I used to be the same way but once my husband started giving me breakfast in my bag of food for work and I started eating it, my body got more used to consuming food early in the morning. Now I feel hungry if I don't eat anything!
  • tweez8976
    tweez8976 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I also can't eat right when I first wake up but I still make sure to have a breakfast - I just eat breakfast about an hour or so after I get up. By then, I am awake and hungry! Smoothies are a good morning option as long as you are careful to get one that is not overloaded with sugar. I personally love oatmeal with a little brown sugar and some dried cranberries - healthy, filling, super-yummy breakfast for about 250 calories!
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Ok so it says I should be having 1200 calories a day. But, do I have to have that much? Surely I would lose weight quicker if I was having less than that? Plus, I don't really eat breakfast. When I've tried to diet before, I've been stupidly drastic and had like one can of soup a day and I did kind of lose weight but I felt really groggy all the time andf I couldnt keep it up, So now, can I not just eat healthy food but keep under the 1200?

By your own admission you do not feel physically well when you undereat, so here's a news flash - DO NOT UNDEREAT.

If you exercise you need to eat back your exercise calories as well...

If you don't like breakfast have it a little later. I rarely eat before 10am (and I have been up for hours by then!)
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If you decide to not eat all your calories, you can make sure you're eating enough by looking
    at your daily summary (in the homepage next to your pic). You should net 1200 calories (this should be the least to aim for). This is is the total of food minus exercise and at 1200 you will not hurt your metabolism. You dont need to do this so often anyway because the setting and total calories mfp gives you is so you can loose weight. You can eat all your calories and its even better if you eat them in a healthy way. For breakfast have you tried green smoothies? I've had them and theyre quick and great. I make one with kale, half an apple, half banana, spinach and flax oil (you can use sweetener of your choice). But I myself would rather eat something in the morning. :wink: