Hypothyroidism

Options
Good morning,

Lately I am so tired, hungry and cold and my hair is breaking off. Over the past few months, these are all getting worse. I have been talking to my mom about it lately and she suggested that I have have hypothiroidism as she has had it for years and the symptoms are the same. I have read that it is hereditary. I made an appointment with my doctor but it is two weeks away.. :( There is so much information out there about it but I thought that I would ask here since I there is so much support here...

I am really concerned about the weight gain and being hungry all the time. I am not sure what types of feed to eat to help the tiredness and being so hungry all the time. I do walk alot but I am have alot of excersise restrictions due to three back surgeries in a year. Has anyone tried any supplements/vitamins to help the symptoms? Any advice is really appreciated :)

Replies

• kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Your symptoms are right on point with hypothyroidism & your chances are even greater if your mother has it. i suggest requesting to get a TSH lab draw. It's thyroid stimulating hormone .. it checks to see how your thyroid is working. Goodluck to you!
    Oh.. & if you are diagnosed with hypothyroidism, they will prescribe you synthroid or the generic equivalent and your symptoms should subdue. I work in the hospital and hypothyroidism is more common than we think. Hope everything works out!
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, been that way for years. Your symptoms sound like mine did in the beginning. I gained weight, my hair got dryed out brittle and corse. I was tired all the time. I was hungry all the time, when I didnt eat I felt jittery, dizzy like I could pass out. There really isnt much you can do, for me there wasnt, until you get on medication to level out your thyroid. Then when you try to lose weight its hard, but it can be done. Add me if you like and I will support you in any way I can.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. Your doc will do a blood test to see if you have it. Totally simple. If you do have it you will have to take a pill that fixes it but you have to take it for the rest of your life. It not too big of a deal but all those symptoms will go away. Good luck and don't stress out too much about it. :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed. Losing weight wasnt any hard then it is for me now ( I stopped the medication after about 5 months when my thyroid leveled out and check it every 3 months )

so no worries there. Good luck :)
  • kscutie
    kscutie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid too.

Your symptoms also sound to me like anemia....so I would ask about getting tested for that too.
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Be sure they check you whole panel...T4 and T3 levels, etc. Also, have them check your vitamin levels as low D and B12 are very common with hypothyroid. I know this from experience of having been diagnosed at 19 years old and spending all these years fighting for better treatment than just one Synthroid pill that wasn't working. After finding a great doctor that listened to me, I am now of a T4 and T3, B12, and D and my energy levels are back to where they should be. Once you get your levels in check and feel your energy come back...definitely start running, biking, or some other endurance exercise. Running has helped me lose the 20 pounds I needed to from my thyroid issue and also helps with symptoms. Good luck at your doctor's!!
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and had similar symptoms except I didn't feel hungry, and ate little, but gained weigh anyway. Also I was sleeping a ton and always tired and feeling depressed (physically, lethargic).

They'll have you do a fasting blood test and you put you on meds, but be aware that it may take some time for them tofind the right level for you, so don't expect an immediate, easy solution (they put me on a low level, tested again, raised it, tested again, and then raised the meds once more). But after you find a good balance- you'll feel a lot better!

I would also look into diet changes you can make for hypothyroidism. Here's some advice I like:
    -cut down on Soy
    -LOTS of natural foods, whole grains, lots of fruits and vegetables and a good supply of seafood and other lean protein
    -The ideal diet for hypothyroidism will include mini meals spread out through the day rather than three larger meals. If you eat five or six small meals it will help balance the slow metabolism that is part of hypothyroidism. Just remember, keep these meals small, around 300 calories each, and include exercise if you want to lose weight, too.
  • burbmama
    burbmama Posts: 51
    Options
    I really appreciate the info. Until I started talking to others about it and doing research, I had no idea how many people have this. Out of 38 people in my office, 6 people have it and have been diagnosed. In regaurds to the anemia, I have also been anemic and take additional supplement. I was doing great on taking B12 and D up until my back surgery and I am just recently getting back into taking them regularlly. I am taking notes on everyones post :)
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would also look into diet changes you can make for hypothyroidism. Here's some advice I like:
    -cut down on Soy

I too am hypothroid and would highly recommend removing soy from your diet. There is much debate right now on soy's effect on the thyroid, some say yes it's ok to eat it others say no. I did extensive research and firmly believe that soy is not good for those that already have issues with their thyroid.

Your symptoms should go away once you are properly medicated. There was a time when I was unable to be monitored by my doctor and was without medication that I used an iodine supplement and another supplement specifically for thyroid help but it was nothing like being on the medication from the doctor! It got me through without sleeping 24/7 and biting everyone's head off during those small amounts of time I wasn't sleeping but just barely!

Hang in there!!
  • burbmama
    burbmama Posts: 51
    Options
    My appointment was He**. My appointment was with a new doc that my friend recommended (just wanted to try a new doc), I left there soooo mad. He wouldn’t listen to anything I had to say...exhaustion, breaking off hair and breaking nails...my memory is horrible (like what was I supposed to do today), my weight gain, blood sugar being off...among many other things. The doc told me that if I worked out alot more, ok jerk...I just had three back surgeries and my limitation is set to walking and stretches with my exercise ball. My mom joined me half way through my appointment (who is extreme hypo and really low iron). The doc didn’t even want to run the tests for me. He says it is so unlikely but he will run the blood in case. He told me that he would call me Monday if it was not normal...but if it was ok, he would send results to me within a week or so. UGH So I made an appointment another doc at my regular doctors office that specializes in Thyroids but I have to wait ANOTHER TWO WEEKS... I was sooooo mad when I left this doctor.

Oh and to boot...he told me I was depressed and he can’t help with mental health. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? My mom laughed and so did my fiancée and best friend when I told them what he said..
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Oh lord! He's a jerk and I'd run away from him. You deserve to have a doctor that will listen to you.

I hope the next appt goes much better! Hang in there!!!!