Scale question

Options
ok so i was curious has anyone else have the same issue with their scale were they weigh themselfs and it shows a certain weight and then go and weigh themselfs again and then it shows them like a lb heavier????? it kinda aggravating because i dont know which one is accurate..

Replies

• Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I used to have that problem. So I fixed the problem by buying a new battery and only weighing once a week on Mondays at the same time.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My scales are so crazy. I keep weighing myself till I get two that match and that is the one I go by. Scale obsession, I do have.. grrr. Don't let the scales power you. Eat right and exercise and you be the winner. Best of luck!
  • Nichole90
    Nichole90 Posts: 118
    Options
    My scale is brand new...its a digital one so i dont know if i need a new scale and this one sucks or if this is common with digital scales but id like to know a steady for sure weight so i can really know how much im lossing
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If/when that happens I will weigh myself 3x and take the # that comes up most or the middle #. It can be frustrating, but digital scales can be very tempremental. LOL
  • breunor
    breunor Posts: 12
    Options
    What's the accuracy of the scale? I'd recommend a digital one that gives you 1 decimal place. I've found mine on a hardwood floor never varies by even a .1 if I'm still while it calculates, but the .1 is far more useful than one which rounds up or down a full pound.

Weight yourself 3 times and if 2 match use that, otherwise take the average.
  • Nichole90
    Options
    im also having that issue as well so im gonna try to do it once a week but tomorrow is going to be my 1 week since started so i weighed in today
  • Hixena
    Hixena Posts: 24
    Options
    What type of scales do you have? also how long are you leaving it before weighing again? weight flucuates throughout the day so the scales could be right each time. youre better off weighing once a week to get a more accurate weight.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Mine does that. I took someone's advice on here and I weigh a dumbbell first. If it comes up the correct weight I know that the scale's close enough. Sometimes if I'm in total disbelief, I'll weigh myself and then weigh again with the dumbbell. Today my 10 lb dumbbell weighed 10.2lb and MY weight fluctuated by 3lb each time I weighed myself trying to fix the scale. So annoying!
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    My scales are so crazy. I keep weighing myself till I get two that match and that is the one I go by. Scale obsession, I do have.. grrr. Don't let the scales power you. Eat right and exercise and you be the winner. Best of luck!

:smile: I have had the same problem. I had to stop obcessing over the scales. I eat healthy and workout 5x a week. I think I'll be ok without looking at the scales all the time.
  • Nichole90
    Options
    my scale is the digital with the decimal it doesnt round it up it will just give you a weight and then . whatever ounce
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I have had the same problem. I had to stop obcessing over the scales. I eat healthy and workout 5x a week. I think I'll be ok without looking at the scales all the time. :smile:
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself on digital scale & always have do it at least twice. The first time will show a certain weight.....2nd & subsequent weights will be 4lbs lower.....every time! Guess which one I'm using! As long as you're consistent on which weight you track then you know if you're doing OK.

Sue :smile: x
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    find something that u know the weight of, and put it on the scale and see if it comes up the same amount... and whatever the difference is, you should add or subtract from ur weight so u have an accurate number.
  • beccafreak
    beccafreak Posts: 45
    Options
    I stick strictly to my digital one at home and don't ever weigh myself anywhere else because they will differ from each other. I also pee first thing in the am and then weigh myself right afterwards before gravity effects my weight (which it does towards the end of the day due to water weight and all that). And I weigh myself about every two days at the same time every morning just because I am addicted to knowing what the scale says but the two days gives me time to be semi-accurate.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Mine definitely does that. I'll step off, and back on and weight .2 kg more or less. I just average (or take the higher number, cause I don't want to be depressed the next week if I didn't budge). My scale is new too, so I chalk it up to just a normal variance.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What type of scales do you have? also how long are you leaving it before weighing again? weight flucuates throughout the day so the scales could be right each time. youre better off weighing once a week to get a more accurate weight.
    Just an FYI - Consumer Reports recently did a review on the scales; and the BEST one that they found was the Taylor 7506. It's available at Target and Walmart.com - for a whopping $23.

This was the #1 scale. I got it, and it's a clear glass platform with chrome legs. Unlike the other digitals, once you turn it on once; you simply step on it from that point forward. Step, look - and there you have it.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Well imagine the scales showing 144, 163 and 155 all in about 3 minutes time. I got to work and weighed with my weight being closer to 155 so I went with that. I think I'll do the dumbell trick and replace my battery. Great ideas!!
  • Nichole90
    Options
    thanks everyone and i will look into that scale if i keep having issues
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RDTaylor13
    RDTaylor13 Posts: 160
    Options
    stick with a digital scale. they have less moving mechanical parts so they have less to wear out. if your scale is acting up, and giving you 2-3 different weights, replace the battery. but it's best not to focus on the weight. only weigh yourself once, and on one day of the week. aim for the same day, and same time. I personally weigh myself first thing in the morning, after using the facilities but before I eat or drink anything.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!