Crystal Light

Options
Is drinking water with those little crystal light packets REALLY the same as drinking actual water? I have no problem with drinking plain water, and I dont like to add stuff to it because I feel like its not the same. But if I CAN add something to it that really doesn't make any difference aside from taste then I totally will! :bigsmile: Does anyone know the difference between crystal light vs plain water? Also, If I'm drinking crystal light, can I log that as drinking plain water?

Replies

• circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I log the calories from the crystal light and I log the water.
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I was on weight watchers, they told me that Crystal Light counted as water. I don't know if it is the same here or not.
  • jlembry
    jlembry Posts: 18
    Options
    I would count it as water, but personally, I don't think it's as good as just drinking water with something like a slice of fruit.

Here's a good article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/309079-the-pros-cons-of-crystal-light-drink/
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I only log pure water as water. I figure if I'm adding something to it - I'm adding chemicals or sugar -- so it doesn't count as pure water (it's more like juice then). This is just MY opinion though.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    HeelsAndBoxingGloves Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    The crystal light doesn't change the water from being water...i use them all the time so that I'll drink more water then soda! I just log the water and then log the calories from the flavor
  • deenanna
    deenanna Posts: 39
    Options
    Try putting lemon juice or a squeeze of orange in your water, doing that is better than artificial flavorings and sugars.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    It's almost 100% water... no reason not to count it. I count pretty much anything liquid as my liquids for the day because technically most of them are mainly water anyway! I count decaf coffee, soy milk, almond milk, skim milk etc. If you're worried about the fake sugar in crystal light they have a whole new line of natual ones too. AND they have new mixed drinks.. my favorite is Appletini.

I almost never drink just plain water....unless I'm on a long walk and all I can bring is a water bottle. Even though, I usually fill those with protein shakes or something with electrolytes.

I easily drink 10-12 or more 8oz glasses a day and could never do that with just plain water..yuck. I hate lemon/lime in my water.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I drink Crystal light.....but log it in on my food diary...and log water only on the water. : )
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    i find it really hard to drink water on its own so i put sugar free squash in mine and am able to drink 3 litres no problems...can i ask what is crystal lights??? im from the uk
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light is a powder you add to water, either by the quart or the bottle. It adds color, flavor, and sweetener, still at the same 0 calories, pretty much. Flavors include lemonade, tea, fruit juice, etc. basically, doctoring up your water to taste like something else. Hmmm I wonder if they have a rum flavor... :drinker: :laugh:
  • nwkarin
    nwkarin Posts: 16
    Options
    I would not count it as water. The reason being is there is artificial sweetener in it. There is a lot of speculation that your body reacts the same way as it does to sugar, by releasing insulin. I just try to limit my "artificial sweeterner" to 1 or 2 beverages a day. I do drink a TON of water - always have. I second a previous post to adding lemon juice. I LOVE doing this, especially in the summer. I pour a big 12 oz glass, 1 Tblsp lemon juice and a couple of ice cubes. Delish! It's like a tart lemonade. I have also heard about putting cucumber or ginger in your water. The thing I love about the lemon is, it is detoxifing! Nothing like giving you kidneys and liver a little boost to healthy! :)

Good luck!!
  • circusmom
    Options
    Crystal Light is a powder you add to water, either by the quart or the bottle. It adds color, flavor, and sweetener, still at the same 0 calories, pretty much. Flavors include lemonade, tea, fruit juice, etc. basically, doctoring up your water to taste like something else. Hmmm I wonder if they have a rum flavor... :drinker: :laugh:

They do have margarita, appletini, and mojito....and they are soooo good!
  • juliejem
    juliejem Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In terms of fluid intake, there's nothing wrong with considering Crystal Light as water. HOWEVER, artificial sweeteners increase cravings, so I would NOT recommend drinking it through the day as though it were equal to water. When you taste sweetness, your body responds by sending out insulin to process it. When all that insulin is floating around your body with no real sugar to attack, it sends the message, "Um, I need some sugar now!!" because it's not natural to have all that insulin wandering around aimlessly. So, while you might think drinking something sweet with no calories is a good way to squelch cravings, it actually increases cravings until your body gets what it thinks you promised it.

I will only drink artificial sweeteners with a meal, so there IS some real food/sugar to digest.

I understand a lot of people have a problem drinking plain water, but it *IS* something you can get used to. Trust me, I used to hate it, and now I love it. I also recommend tea. Teavana (www.teavana.com) has some AMAZING herbal teas with so much flavor you won't ever want to ingest fakey-fake Crystal Light again. Plus, green teas are clinically proven to suppress appetite, so you get a double bonus there!
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i"m not much of a water drinker. and its hard for me drink but i only log water as water (it gives your body a rest from the chemicals that you put in to it)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Water = No Cafeine, Non Carbonated and No Sugar

So yes, it is water!
  • Ajessie
    Ajessie Posts: 54
    Options
    LOL those sound amazing!!! Can't wait to try them :)
  • circusmom
    Options
    In terms of fluid intake, there's nothing wrong with considering Crystal Light as water. HOWEVER, artificial sweeteners increase cravings, so I would NOT recommend drinking it through the day as though it were equal to water. When you taste sweetness, your body responds by sending out insulin to process it. When all that insulin is floating around your body with no real sugar to attack, it sends the message, "Um, I need some sugar now!!" because it's not natural to have all that insulin wandering around aimlessly. So, while you might think drinking something sweet with no calories is a good way to squelch cravings, it actually increases cravings until your body gets what it thinks you promised it.

I will only drink artificial sweeteners with a meal, so there IS some real food/sugar to digest.

I understand a lot of people have a problem drinking plain water, but it *IS* something you can get used to. Trust me, I used to hate it, and now I love it. I also recommend tea. Teavana (www.teavana.com) has some AMAZING herbal teas with so much flavor you won't ever want to ingest fakey-fake Crystal Light again. Plus, green teas are clinically proven to suppress appetite, so you get a double bonus there!

Not everyone will react this way. I drink crystal light everyday and I have no problem with cravings.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    This is totally situational. For instance, I would not count tea since it has caffeine which is a diuretic. Unless you're talking decaf... and there are a lot of natural mixes out there now that aren't full of sweet-n-low or equal or whatever.

Drinking plain water is NOT something everyone can get used to. There are a lot of situations where it actually sits too heavy in the stomach and its just not comfortable. If I drank a big glass of plain water, I'd need a nap. For the majority of people, sure they probably could but if they don't like it.... there are a zillion alternatives that count as your fluids for the day. It's a pretty individual thing.

• amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I find that it helps me be able to drink more water. Since January I have had very little soda and am 99% water strictly but drinking plain water gets old so I figured I'd use a flavor to spruce it up and keep me going. Just log it in your diary and you're golden!
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I only log pure water as water. I figure if I'm adding something to it - I'm adding chemicals or sugar -- so it doesn't count as pure water (it's more like juice then). This is just MY opinion though.
    THIS!! I enjoy Crystal Light as well, but I count it separately than my plain ol' water!