how to cook tilapia?

Options
katelyn002
katelyn002 Posts: 260 Member
I have frozen tilapia fillets.

How on earth can i cook it, that is simple and not alot of ingredients?

Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Lemon pepper

Lemon juice and ground black pepper. Can't get any simpler.
  • Justcallmejenny
    Options
    I tried it the other night, it was breaded but I baked it in the oven with a side of salsa and cut up avacado, mixed together. It went great with the fish, and I didn't even think I liked avacado!
  • Tules13
    Tules13 Posts: 16
    Options
    my favorite way to make talapia is to put the filets in a casserole dish with orange juice just covering the bottom of the casserole dish salt pepper and if you like a little kick add a sprinkle of cheyene pepper.. bake at 450degrees for 25 minutes..
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I love baking tilapia.
    Thaw the filets slightly (in the fridge), and then lay them slightly overlapping in a row in a casserole dish. Chop up an onion and sprinkle over fish. Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest and nob of butter or margarine. Cover dish with tin foil and bake until the fish is flaky. Serve with veggies and brown rice. One of my favourite dishes!
  • katelyn002
    Options
    do i boil it? bake it? no idea
  • bam0904
    bam0904 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree lemon peper, works great.
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    you bake it
  • katelyn002
    Options
    thanks guys... that helps! I bought them and they have been just sitting in my freezer.. cant wait to try them
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    i am eating tilapia right now. i made it for dinner last night and brought the rest for lunch.
    i put then in aluminum foil. spray with spray butter or put a little EVOO on it. add whatever seasoning you want. i like to do lemon pepper w/ parsley or i have this cajun season that is really good. wrap up the foil into a pouch, stick on a baking sheet and bake at 450 for 20 minutes.

delicious!
  • wrgawife
    wrgawife Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had some last night gralic and onion season and lemon pepper season with onions and bake. I am thinking about it for tonite too.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I made it for dinner last night! I just put some foil on a baking sheet, put the tilapia on the foil and put on some Mrs. Dash lemon pepper seasoning on both side. Then I baked it in the over at 350 for about 15 mins. It was delicious and very simple! I love tilapia, it's one of my favorite meals to make! I had it with a couple of cheddar and potato pierogies and some steamed broccoli. Delicious dinner for about 400 cals
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    I also have a bag of frozen tilapia for like 3 months....
    Question, do ya'll put it to bake frozen or thaw the fillets first?
  • monsode
    monsode Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat if often and always pan boil/stream it. Add just enough water to cover fillet in a flat pan using what ever spices you like, I like lemon pepper & garlic herb. Cover and boil till tender........Enjoy

Diane
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I just cooked tilapia fillets!

I used a bit of salt, black pepper, parsley and hot paprika, sprinkled with fresh Parmesan, and a drop or two of extra virgin olive oil.

Then I broiled it until just barely under done and turned off the oven, let sit a minute in the oven and pulled it out. It tasted delicious and was low cal. Go easy on the salt since it's coming from the Parmesan too.

Enjoy!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I also have a bag of frozen tilapia for like 3 months....
    Question, do ya'll put it to bake frozen or thaw the fillets first?

I always thaw mine before I cook them.
  • jolyned
    jolyned Posts: 28
    Options
    I have two great ways to cook talapia. A very healthy way is to take parchement paper, lay down the fillet, add some cut up carrots, onions and peppers. sprinkle some salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil. Fold up the parchement paper so it's enclosed like an envelope. Bake and all of the natural flavours from the vegetables will steam right into your fillets. SOO delicious!

Or you can sprinkle with lemon, a tiny bit of olive oil, pepper and some other seasonings if you'd like and grill them. Make sure to spray non stick spray on your grill or it will get messy. It should only take about 2-3 minutes on each side. Very healthy.

I make these every other week and my family LOVES it!
  • arwensb
    arwensb Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    my favorite way to make talapia is to put the filets in a casserole dish with orange juice just covering the bottom of the casserole dish salt pepper and if you like a little kick add a sprinkle of cheyene pepper.. bake at 450degrees for 25 minutes..
    Instead of the cayenne pepper, sprinkle the filets generously with ground fennel. Goes really well with the citrus of the orange juice. When you serve it, sprinkle some capers on top for a little vinegar kick. SO YUMMY!
  • Taznmb1
    Taznmb1 Posts: 15
    Options
    I love to throw a little ms dash Fiesta lime or Caribbean Citrus on the fillets, then place them on my Forman with some nonstick spray. Grill them and serve with some grilled pinapple salsa.

1 large pineapple, skinned, cored, and cut into 1-inch rounds OR Canned
    1 red bell pepper
    1 medium jalapeño or serrano`
    1 small red onion, finely diced
    1/2 cup loosely-packed, finely chopped cilantro
    2 small limes, juiced

Grill the pineapple, then dice the pineapple, peppers (minus seads for less heat), onion and cilontro and combine. Then Squeeze lime over mixture and serve over the fish.
    Kosher salt
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Bumping for recipe ideas.

Personally I love it grilled or baked.