olive garden

Options
2»

Replies

• BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Since you are going ahead of time....do what I do! Look up the menu....then choose two or three things you would like...go ahead and log it in your food diary...check the damage...and you can always delete it if that is not what you want to order! Look up all kinds of things! If you go to to OUTBACK etc.....do the same! It helps when you KNOW what you are in for! : ) Good luck choosing the right thing! : )
  • rure13
    rure13 Posts: 86
    Options
    Why anyone would choose to eat at the Olive Garden is beyond me :P But here:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/restaurant_top_swaps/56817

Don't touch the breadsticks. Or the salad dressing, unless you're dipping.
    My mom and grandma want to go, I usually try to avoid eating there though because of all the calories
  • rnprincess
    rnprincess Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to go online to check out their menu, I blew my entire day one time by assuming that my choice was low in calories...

Always a good idea to check on line first. Another option with Olive Garden is you can request that your food be prepared a certain way, and you can always ask for a lunch portion-even if it is dinner time and that is always a good way to cut down.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The thing I got last time I was there was SUPER filling and DELICIOUS.... I don't remember what it was called though... it was like a soup, with a lot of different seafoods in it... I'll go look it up.

*edit* found what it was!
    "Seafood Brodetto

Scallops, shrimp and delicate tilapia with spinach and mushrooms simmered in a light white wine and marinara-saffron broth. Served with toasted ciabatta bread. "
    calories/fat/sat fat/sodium/carb/fiber
    Seafood Brodetto (dinner) 480 16 3 2250 35 7

So, the sodium is horrible, but omg was it delicious.
  • darconnor
    darconnor Posts: 49
    Options
    They have a light italian dressing that is very good. I like it better than the original full fat version. Get it on the side so you don't use as much. The pasta fagoli is low fat and a good source of protein too. Limit to one or two breadsticks and skip the andes mints!!! Those little buggers have 75 calories each! It's a conspiracy I tell you!
    Skip the croutons on the salad
    Order the light dressing. (It comes in a bottle and is always served on the side; don't trust it if they put it on it - it's probably full fat)
    Order the breadsticks without seasoning (garlic, butter, salt)
    Order a lunch portion
    The Seafood Brodetta (see mariapuhl's comment) is really good, too. You don't need breadsticks if you order that; it has a little crotini that comes with it.
    And like pretty much all restaurant food - there is a lot of salt. Drink extra water today.
    I have been working at OG for over 16 years at the home office. It continues to be my favorite place to eat. Enjoy!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Why anyone would choose to eat at the Olive Garden is beyond me :P But here:

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/restaurant_top_swaps/56817

Don't touch the breadsticks. Or the salad dressing, unless you're dipping.
    My mom and grandma want to go, I usually try to avoid eating there though because of all the calories

Ah yes. I almost got trapped there once for a cousin's graduation dinner. However, we all showed up (all eighteen of us) and were told there was an hour and a half wait. So we drove fifteen minutes to Lamberti's -- the place was founded by an Italian guy who arrived here from Naples in 1963. Now *that* was delicioso.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Word of warning: unless you ask for no cheese, remove the croutons, and get the dressing on the side, 1 serving of their salad has more calories than a breadstick. Like double.
  • rure13
    rure13 Posts: 86
    Options
    The thing I got last time I was there was SUPER filling and DELICIOUS.... I don't remember what it was called though... it was like a soup, with a lot of different seafoods in it... I'll go look it up.

*edit* found what it was!
    "Seafood Brodetto

Scallops, shrimp and delicate tilapia with spinach and mushrooms simmered in a light white wine and marinara-saffron broth. Served with toasted ciabatta bread. "
    calories/fat/sat fat/sodium/carb/fiber
    Seafood Brodetto (dinner) 480 16 3 2250 35 7

So, the sodium is horrible, but omg was it delicious.
    thanks for looking it up, that sounds good I think i'll try this
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I went there last week and had the Venetian Apricot Chicken - only 290 calories!! (I did my research online ahead of time and this is the lowest calorie plate - and VERY healthy!)

I always look forward to this!!!!

all the other cretiquing goes without saying - crutons/slad dressing (very sparingly)

take care!!!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Since you are going ahead of time....do what I do! Look up the menu....then choose two or three things you would like...go ahead and log it in your food diary...check the damage...and you can always delete it if that is not what you want to order! Look up all kinds of things! If you go to to OUTBACK etc.....do the same! It helps when you KNOW what you are in for! : ) Good luck choosing the right thing! : )

agreed
    i even gave in and went to red lobster last night against my better judgement (ironic that a fish place is so unhealthy for you, their sodium is through the roof!!!!) but did manage to find grilled salmon and shrimp that was doable.
    though just one of their biscuits had 350mg sodium ... and yet i love them, so ate just one!
    that in itself was a major achievement for me to just eat one! *L*
    good luck on the breadsticks!
  • JoseMedina21
    JoseMedina21 Posts: 186 Member
    Options