Fitness Class Rant

Options
2»

Replies

• kgagnon7779
    kgagnon7779 Posts: 216
    Options
    I should clear something up here. This is a VERY high intensity class. High weights, high reps, high cardio. We did 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups this morning and that was just our cool down. The woman that I am referring to is totally capable of doing a full lunge and pretty much everything else we do, BUT, she is skimping on them because she wants to be done first. There is nothing wrong with her physically, she is not overweight, she is just one of those people. I would NEVER pick on someone who has bad form because they are clearly struggling from the intensity of the class. We have new people who venture in all the time and have to sit out half the class because it's too hard. Again, this is not my problem. I give them kudos for even trying.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    circut training (ie, using the machines in a counter-clockwise order, only staying on each machine for the alloted anount of time. I hate when people come in there, go the wrong way, and just pick and choose which machiens they want to use.

ARGGGGHHH that drives me CRAZY! also when they come in to use just ONE particular machine and stay there for extended periods of time, especially because they have the exact machines out in the rest of the gym, and then look at ME crazy when they see me switching machines!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I should clear something up here. This is a VERY high intensity class. High weights, high reps, high cardio. We did 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups this morning and that was just our cool down. The woman that I am referring to is totally capable of doing a full lunge and pretty much everything else we do, BUT, she is skimping on them because she wants to be done first. There is nothing wrong with her physically, she is not overweight, she is just one of those people. I would NEVER pick on someone who has bad form because they are clearly struggling from the intensity of the class. We have new people who venture in all the time and have to sit out half the class because it's too hard. Again, this is not my problem. I give them kudos for even trying.

If she's not pushing her potential, she's the one missing out. I have to remind myself of that all the time when teaching, I correct, they maintain, I look at them and correct, they look at me and maintain, I finally just say "f it, they've made a decision." She's made a decision to possibly waste an hour of her time not pushing herself to her fullest potential, you've made the decision to get the most out of the class that you can . . . you're the winner no matter who gets done first.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound bad here, but so what if she wants to finish first? Do your thing and ignore her.

Threads like this are exactly why I don't go to a gym.

You don't go to the gym because someone might think you're not working to your potential and then go anonymously online and complain about it? To each their own, but that just sounds like a very bad excuse to not go to the gym.

I acknowledged in my first sentence that I was VERY competitive. It's something I'd like to work on. Admitting it is the first step! I am not making this woman feel bad - I'm on here speaking out about it bothering me and she is none the wiser about how I feel about it.

It's not an excuse not to go to the gym. I prefer to work out at home.
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with her physically, she is not overweight, she is just one of those people.

:laugh:
  • kgagnon7779
    Options

If she's not pushing her potential, she's the one missing out. I have to remind myself of that all the time when teaching, I correct, they maintain, I look at them and correct, they look at me and maintain, I finally just say "f it, they've made a decision." She's made a decision to possibly waste an hour of her time not pushing herself to her fullest potential, you've made the decision to get the most out of the class that you can . . . you're the winner no matter who gets done first.

Yes, Yes, Yes. Thank you. I do try to remember this. I know you're right. I'll just keep repeating this in my head and focus on myself. I have to say though - it's super hard when you're a competitive person!!
  • kgagnon7779
    Options
    I hate to sound bad here, but so what if she wants to finish first? Do your thing and ignore her.

Threads like this are exactly why I don't go to a gym.

You don't go to the gym because someone might think you're not working to your potential and then go anonymously online and complain about it? To each their own, but that just sounds like a very bad excuse to not go to the gym.

I acknowledged in my first sentence that I was VERY competitive. It's something I'd like to work on. Admitting it is the first step! I am not making this woman feel bad - I'm on here speaking out about it bothering me and she is none the wiser about how I feel about it.

It's not an excuse not to go to the gym. I prefer to work out at home.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but you did say "Threads like this are exactly why I don't go to a gym." I don't want you to think that there are people at the gym who will berate you for not performing at a certain level. You should never feel bad about doing something at your level, whatever it is. I do hope you understand after I explained more that this is not what I was talking about.