Question

I did laundry at the laundromat today in 102 degree weather, does that count as exercise? Cuz I sweat a ton off!!

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Sweating is NOT the same as actual exercise.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Probably not. There's a difference between having your heart rate up and sweating (exercise) and just plain sweating because it is hot outside. In order to burn fat, you want to get your heart rate up too. Sweating while doing laundry is just sweating out water - so make sure you re-hydrate yourself.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    unless you were beating you're clothes on rocks and outside washing them in 102 degree weather I wouldn't count it haha.
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Nope.....exercise and get that heart a pumpin' !: )
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Some say yes and others say no.

I am in the No category. Daily exercise does not count as exercise. It is something your body is used to and already accounted for when you set up your profile. I know that my Nutritionist teaches the same to all of her patients.

I did gardening yesterday at a friends and while I did burn calories, I didn't count it as I am there a couple times of month. Same for Laundry and Housework, sex as well.

Exercise is time dedicated to exercise and thats all that should be counted. You just can't get around it!

Once of the biggest problems comes to those who eat back their exercise calories. If you eat back calories that are not really exercise calories then you could be overeating.

Best of Luck!
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Sweating is just a way for the body to cool down. You need to drink water to replenish what you have lost.
    I wouldn't count it as exercise .
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Some say yes and others say no.

I am in the No category. Daily exercise does not count as exercise. It is something your body is used to and already accounted for when you set up your profile. I know that my Nutritionist teaches the same to all of her patients.

I did gardening yesterday at a friends and while I did burn calories, I didn't count it as I am there a couple times of month. Same for Laundry and Housework, sex as well.

Exercise is time dedicated to exercise and thats all that should be counted. You just can't get around it!

Once of the biggest problems comes to those who eat back their exercise calories. If you eat back calories that are not really exercise calories then you could be overeating.

Best of Luck!

WHAT!! Sex doesn't count? lol Good, now I don't feel bad for not havin any. :P But yeah, I agree, as much as sweating like a pig feels like a workout, it isn't really doing anything but dehydrating you.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Nope... NOT exercise. Sweat is not an indicator of calories being burned. It's an indicator that you're overheated. Take a bottle of water with you to the laundromat.