Any grad students out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    When I stopped walking around campus and started sitting in the library doing my thesis, exercise was not on my mind.

Definitely look into the campus gym, etc. Exercise makes a huge difference with stress. And, you can use the time to mull over your research a bit, or plan your writing. (If you walk 1 mi. on the track, for example, it's only about 12 minutes.) If you are writing from home, you can walk or jog around the block for a few minutes also, and just do it when you would normally take a break.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hey - I've just started my PhD in human health and nutrition and psychology :)

I've recently joined the university gym and am going to my first class tonight (Zumba which I guess I will suck at). I did my BSc and MSc in the UK and still carry the evidence of student lifestyle around my stomach!
  • Cadenpet
    Cadenpet Posts: 79
    Options
    Hey. About to start my first year of pharmacy school, in oh 9 days. :)
  • Victorian131
    Options
    I'm in the final stretch of my MSc program as well as working part time, and I'm definitely finding a hard time balancing between time spent working on my thesis and time spent working out. When I'm active, I feel guilty for not writing, and when I'm writing, I feel guilty for not exercising.

You have summed up my life! I have one month til deadline (well, September 19th) and still have 15000 words left of my thesis (I'm half way there thank god) I have no access to a gym but live way way out in the countryside so have been doing c25k when the weather isn't too horrendous.
    I think stress is taking over now, I've got to the point where I'm dreaming about writing this paper and feel more bad if I don't write than if I don't exercise but feel bad about undoing my hard work, don't want to gain the stone I lost :( bad times.
    I can definitely sympathise with people in this situation
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    will be starting my first year of grad school next month. going for a MS in Biotechnology and working night shift.. was really hoping to be closer to goal by now, but have unfortunately been through plateaus and struggles with motivation.. :ohwell:
  • penny_eclipse
    penny_eclipse Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Heya
    I'm an architecture grad student (well I call it post-grad since I'm British but it's the same thing) studying architecture.
    1 yr through my 2 yr Msc..
    I made the lifestyle change at christmas so I had the whole of last semester "on the wagon" whilst coping with the pressures of the course, keeping up with classes, dissertaions, projects etc. Couldn't believe that eating better and cutting most of the junk out actually kept my concentration higher and I slept better.
    Very happy to be friends with anyone and provide some motivation. Feel free to add me x
  • lisabeth81
    Options
    Wow! Lots of us on here! Congrats to you all for going through it I am glad I am not the only one...You all have made some good points, just at least 30 min a day would be good for me. I am in my last year to do my thesis - I need to do a pre proposal by the end of next month and I am already behind! Yikes!

You all stay in touch! We can do this together - I will dedicate some me time for this coming year, I don't want to gain any more weight...